Adding Tiscali mail account

Reaction score
I've used Mac mail to access my Tiscali mail account for years. There are occasional problems and I usually resolve them by deleting and re-adding my Tiscali account. Tried this today but I now get a message saying that my username or my password cannot be verified. Is this affecting others and is there a way around this?

I'm using OS X El Capitan 10.11.5.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are you able to log in using web access? Maybe try to start up from Recovery partition and run Disk Utilities First Aid on your disk.

Reaction score
That's a polite way of saying you're typing either the username/email address or the password wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
That's a polite way of saying you're typing either the username/email address or the password wrong.

It is a way to find out if the OP can access their account at all and not through the mail app, it has nothing to do with right or wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Tiscali was taken over by TalkTalk several years ago and I thought all emails addresses were changed; mine certainly was and now ends in 'talktalk.net'.

Try resetting the mail details.
http://www.webmail-provider.co.uk/tiscali-mail/

OP
L
Reaction score
Many thanks for all who have replied.

I can log in through web mail and I had the settings checked by TalkTalk this morning and they confirmed everything was ok as they saw it so wouldn't/couldn't offer any more help. From that I have taken it that I'm using the right username and password. Tiscali is retained for old users (in both senses of the word) and, in any event, I can't put new settings in now as I can't get that far. I've just tried it again and the same message came up. It seems others are having difficulties but TalkTalk just say it is nothing to do with them and may be a BT Openreach problem. My contract is with TalkTalk but they still don't want to know. I'll try again tomorrow and see if there is any change. Fingers crossed but not hopeful.

OP
L
Reaction score
Adding Tiscali Mail account

More here: https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/email-settings-imap-pop3

Try switching off the Mac and rebooting afterwards. You never know!

Hello, Sue,

Thanks for this. Tried it but no success. Today the whole internet service wouldn't work initially but did after I turned off the router and switched it back on again. I hoped this would fix the Mail problem but it didn't.

Out of desperation, I went to the old POP settings rather than the IMAP configuration. That worked first time. Goodness knows why.

I'll keep that for the time being even though TalkTalk do not recommend it.

Thanks to all who have replied. I hope I don't need to come back to you but it's good to know there's help out there for a bear of very little brain.

Best wishes,

Les.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Reaction score
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. It was discussed in this forum - see the 'New mail accounts in 10.11.4' thread. Unfortunately the thread did not provide a solution. A 'chat' with a TalkTalk advisor, after some to-ing and fro-ing, led finally to the admission that they did not have the equipment to test things out! I had hopes that moving to 10.11.5 would solve things but it didn't. Until I get round to moving ISPs (hoping no other ISP has the same problem) I have got along by (a) using Thunderbird as a mail client, and (b) using icloud.com as the account accessed from Mail. It is quite easy, but tedious, to export Thunderbird mailboxes into Mail.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Mine's still working at present so I'll let sleeping dogs lie for the moment. When we move, so will my ISP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.