• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Best alternative to iGoogle Home page?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
For a long time I have been casually looking for a home page to replace the now defunct iGoogle Home. I have tried quite a lot at the expense of junk emails reminding me about the rejects ("We noticed you haven't visited" etc) and most recently I was using igHome which wasn't too bad but some of it's optional news feeds and widgets never worked very well or just came up blank. Then this week I discovered Protopage. It loads quickly, has hundreds of widgets, the ability to search for and add custom widgets URL's and RSS feeds and caters to all my needs (even AFL footy results). It also has a notes page, essentially an empty page devoted to Stickies and I know some people will love that. Anyway I know this concept is a bit of a dinosaur but so am I and I really like a Start Page that quickly gets me informed and up to date with what's going on in tech, sport, politics, and home news in general.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ever heard of MyWay? Not as good as it once was before the original developer sold it. Check it out.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
No I haven't, I'll take a look. OK, I see, that's not quite what I had in mind. This is what my Protopage looks like.

2016-07-03 20:43:40.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yes, MyWay was much the same before the takeover. You could have your local weather report on your home page, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.