Time Capsule Ethernet Port and HP Officejet Problem

Reaction score
The top Ethernet port does not work. If I plug my printer into the top Ethernet port the printer does not work. If I plug it into the 2nd or 3rd port the printer works fine.

I was on the phone with Apple Support for almost 2 hours last Saturday. They confirmed the problem after doing several diagnostic steps and told me that the top port was faulty and to exchange the capsule.

I exchanged it today and got a new one. I'm having the exact same problem on this one as well!

Does anyone know why the HP OfficeJet 8600 Plus will not work in the top Ethernet port but works fine in the 2nd and 3rd one?

Thank you for your help!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which version of the Time Capsule do you have? I suspect that the port which does not work with the HP printer is actually designed to be the WAN port that connect the Time Capsule to a modem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of the Time Capsule do you have? I suspect that the port which does not work with the HP printer is actually designed to be the WAN port that connect the Time Capsule to a modem.

It depends on how you define "Top Ethernet Port" as the OP stated. The last port on the bottom of the TC (TC standing upright) is the WAN port, however, I don't know if the OP has an older model. Your question is a good one, but I'm betting a candy bar that you're right. ;D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your question is a good one, but I'm betting a candy bar that you're right. ;D
IF you're buying I'm not picky. Anything chocolate will do. As long as you don't buy the tiny ones. ;D Fun Size, yeah right. I thought there was supposed to be truth in advertising.;D

OP
G
Reaction score

I am referring to the first LAN port from the top. The WAN is at the bottom. I have it connected to the modem.
image.jpeg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the additional info. That rules out what I was thinking.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am referring to the first LAN port from the top. The WAN is at the bottom. I have it connected to the modem.

It's highly unlikely that two Time Capsules have a defective top ethernet port. The fault may be with your HP. Do you have another printer that you can try using the top ethernet port? Or you can try running an ethernet cable from the top port to your Mac, switch to ethernet on the Mac and test the port that way. If your Mac can access the net using the top ethernet port, then there's nothing wrong with the port.

OP
G
Reaction score
It's highly unlikely that two Time Capsules have a defective top ethernet port. The fault may be with your HP. Do you have another printer that you can try using the top ethernet port? Or you can try running an ethernet cable from the top port to your Mac, switch to ethernet on the Mac and test the port that way. If your Mac can access the net using the top ethernet port, then there's nothing wrong with the port.

Is there anything special about the first port vs ports 2 and 3 that would cause the HP not to like the 1st port? One thing I forgot to mention is that my modem has a built in router. If that makes a difference.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All three ports on the TC should be the same. That's why I suggested you test the top port using another device just in case you did get two defective TCs. If your modem has a built in router, you need to turn it off or put it in bridge mode in order to use the TC as your router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.