Photos will not upload, many are grayed out

Reaction score
I'm flummoxed that I can't upload many photos and pdfs to other sites, due to them being grayed out. I tried just dropping them on my desktop, but to no avail.

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum!

Please read the link in my sig and post again. We need a lot more information about your system and what you are trying to do before we can begin to offer suggestions.

OP
M
Reaction score
I keep getting an error message that states, "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters". I gave it way more than 10 characters and clicked on it, but the same error message shows up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I'm flummoxed that I can't upload many photos and pdfs to other sites, due to them being grayed out. I tried just dropping them on my desktop, but to no avail.

I keep getting an error message that states, "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters". I gave it way more than 10 characters and clicked on it, but the same error message shows up.

Hi Mark - welcome to the forum! :) Did you look at the link suggested by Jake?

Probably not, but the point is that you have provided virtually no useful information for us to give you a response, so please at least give us the following: 1) What Mac computer are you using (model/year); 2) What OS X is installed; 3) From where are you trying to upload your photos & PDFs (I'm assuming from your Pics & Docs folders - if not, then tell us); 4) Where are you trying to upload the files to, i.e. a website and/or elsewhere; and 5) If to a website, what browser are you using? Answers to these questions might help us to better respond. Dave

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey Rad- I got the first email, a few hours ago. I tried to send it but it kept giving me a error message. First will be my reply to the first email, then I quoted the error message right my response

Welcome to the forum!

I have a Mac Power Book, OS X El Capitan, 10.11.5. I downloaded some pdf photos from a friend, then tried to upload them to other servers, e.g. Facebook, Craigslist, and now practically all pdf's, photos and docs are greyed out. My system will not allow me to upload them.

Also why am I getting an error message from M/F that says I'm five characters short? Most times a server stops from one on getting any further, a limited amount of characters.

"We need a lot more information about your system and what you are trying to do before we can begin to offer suggestions."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Rad- I got the first email, a few hours ago. I tried to send it but it kept giving me a error message. First will be my reply to the first email, then I quoted the error message right my response

Welcome to the forum!

I have a Mac Power Book, OS X El Capitan, 10.11.5. I downloaded some pdf photos from a friend, then tried to upload them to other servers, e.g. Facebook, Craigslist, and now practically all pdf's, photos and docs are greyed out. My system will not allow me to upload them.

OK - a Mac Power Book running the latest version of El Capitan - look at the quotes below - and, tell us the truth - ;) Dave

The PowerBook (known as Macintosh PowerBook before 1997) is a line of Macintosh laptop computers that was designed, manufactured and sold by Apple Computer, Inc. from 1991 to 2006.

i am trying to run minecraft on my powerbook g4 but cannot. The apple store genius told me that the g4 can only be ungraded to os x 10.5.8 Leapord and the reason minecraft will not work. Is there a version of minecraft i can use or a way to upgrade the G4 to 10.6.6 so that it will allow minecraft to work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Welcome to the forum!

Also why am I getting an error message from M/F that says I'm five characters short? Most times a server stops from one on getting any further, a limited amount of characters.

My apologies, its a Mac Book Pro. I guess I was thinking how easy those worked...

Hi again Mark - thanks for the clarification, so a MBPro w/ the current version of El Capitan. Still some more questions asked in my previous post: 1) Where are these files located, i.e. assume in your Download, Pictures, and/or Documents folders of Finder; and 2) Are these folders 'greyed out' in those locations?

Also, I'm not sure what M/F means above - please explain. But while you answer the questions, have you rebooted the computer, if so assume of no help? Also, can you open the files on your laptop? If not, right-click several of the files, then 'Get Info' - a dialog box will open - check the file extension, the 'Open with', and scroll to the bottom and look at 'Privileges' - let us know if there may be problems? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 4.29.25 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
M/F = Mac-Forums I believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.