Epson printer using mac problems

Reaction score
Frustrating problem with no answers do I have. Needing help
Have an Epson C88 printer about 4 yrs old. Have not been using it. Formerly used with a MS windows PC. Had fresh OEM ink cartridges. Was functioning fine when last used back when.
Since in need of it now, pulled it out from where stored. Now using a MAC PC with 10.6.8 Snow. Husband downloaded driver. Printer turned on, but will not print. carriage or whatever goes across but no ink After tests and trying to revive cartridges, so to speak, concluded that likely after 4 years cartridges may be clogged up beyond help, tho there is definitely ink in them.
Putting that aside, the MAIN issue right now..is the software or whatever called from driver for print outs. There are no presets but standard, no quality selection like Best Photo, etc etc. No color management, etc. Cannot see ink supply.
For my needs, it's imperative that I use best printing, and be able to adjust color would be nice. And it has to be Epson with archival inks since printing on transfer paper to make tees from my designs.
Have messed around reading and reading, downloaded other drivers including highly recommended G...something. My eye balls are popping out, and technically challenged. Hubby says it maybe that this older Epson will not support the right driver for my purposes.
So I am in a limbo while losing sales. Here I have an epson C88 that is in good shape, was perfectly functioning and still should be. And what if I buy another C88 NEW one, and I find that I have the same problems??? SOS
IF someone is so kind to try to help me out with my concerns, please be very specific since I get easily confused, and befuddled with directions that I am not savy about.
BTW: Think I must have several drivers installed and on my Mac for the epson C88. Don't know how to uninstall if needed.

Sorry for the length
Diane

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My wife had similar issues with cartridges cloggingThis page on two different Epson printers a few years ago. Unfortunately for her no amount of attempting to revive the cartridges seemed to help. So that side of things probably won't revive. This page has drivers for 10.6.8 though you may need to change the drop down from Windows to OS X 10.6.x

Once that's done if you click on the driver section it has the directions to install the drivers. To remove the existing drivers connect the printer to the Mac and follow those directions. Instead of clicking the + sign click the - sign.

It looks like this printer is still being sold and has drivers for 10.6.8 so here's my suggestion:
1. Purchase printer from somewhere that has a decent return policy in case it no longer does what you need.
2. If it doesn't come with starter cartridges I would purchase one for testing purposes rather than use the old cartridges.
3. Remove the old drivers from your system (printer needs tone connected to do this).
4. Install the driver and test the new printer. If it doesn't work well return it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Diane the only way I can ever get OEM cartridges to work is by running the clean nozzles three or four times in a row. Suggest you remove all old drivers as Sly suggests, then hook up and power on the printer and install the new driver. I can't recall how OS X.6 sets up it is so long since it was introduced but go into System Preferences and look for Printers and Scanners and hit the little (+) button in the left hand pane and see if the printer is recognised.

See if this helps setting up using Snow Leopard followed by the latest driver from Epson for OS X.6:-

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201961

https://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store...id=58602&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_M_X6

OP
D
Reaction score
THANKS so much for info. When I get a few things out of the way, will try hopefully tomorrow. And will post again

OP
D
Reaction score
THANKS, also. we did clean nozzles about 4 times. Am going to try something else too. And will do as both of you have suggested for driver issue. Will repost tomorrow.
Appreciate
Diane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Couldn't get my old Epson to run with my new Mac. Bought a new Epson, different model; works like a charm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.