how to get music and movies from iMac to newly purchased macbook pro

Reaction score
I currently have an iMac that acts as my base where I contact all of my iPhones and iPads to sync music and movies through iTunes. It also holds all of my photos as well. I recently ordered a macbook pro that will serve as mobile workstation so I don't necessarily want my photos on there because I have over 20,000 photos but I would like to have my music and some of the movies that I've purchased on there.

So normally, with my iPhones and iPads, i connect them to the iMac and then iTunes will launch and I can manually add music, movies, and photos to each of the devices as I wish. How would I do this with a macbook pro? Do I connect it to the iMac and then launch iTunes on the iMac and then select each of the movies and songs that I want added to the macbook pro?

I saw something about homesharing but it seems that for this to work, both computers need to be on and using the same network. I would like the songs and movies to be physically on the macbook pro and not accessed via the cloud. Is there a way to set this up?

Reaction score
You can't sync Macs using iTunes - it can only sync iOS devices to a Mac, and this was needed back in the day when iOS devices (and iPods) didn't have the ability to buy media directly on-device.

You will have to move your iTunes library to the Macbook Pro using an external disk. Here is Apple's official doc:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204318

OP
H
Reaction score
You can't sync Macs using iTunes - it can only sync iOS devices to a Mac, and this was needed back in the day when iOS devices (and iPods) didn't have the ability to buy media directly on-device.

You will have to move your iTunes library to the Macbook Pro using an external disk. Here is Apple's official doc:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204318

I read the doc and from what I read, it sounds like the instructions are to move all of the media from the "old" iMac onto my new Macbook Pro. The problem with this as I read the article is that it sounds like by doing this, I will no longer sync my iPods, iPads, and iPhones with my "old" iMac. I'll only sync it with my new macbook pro and I don't actually want it set up this way. I just want to move some songs and some movies onto my new macbook pro but keep it so everything syncs with my "old" iMac. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can do this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you used the Migration Assistant? Wonderful, often-overlooked tool - it will not only bring your iTunes library over, but it can bring all of your documents, apps and settings over from an old Mac to a new Mac. And yes, you can continue to sync with that old Mac (you can have up to 5 computers/devices sharing the same DRM-protected media).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.