I need to get away from Microsoft - QUICKLY!

Reaction score
I'm looking for a replacement for my wife's desktop (running Win7) because I'm sick and tired of the MS virus, malware, ads, etc. She does some word processing, Facefart (Facebook), and some online games. I need some recommendations for a desktop spec so I can go get her a refurbished Imac, schedule myself for a trip to the psychiatrists couch, after trying to teach her something new, and getting the crap MS problems to go away. I've played with my Ipad a little so I understand the basics for Apple, but I need a recommendation from someone with more experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-=BDD-

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I need some recommendations for a desktop spec so I can go get her a refurbished iMac...

Go to Apple.com…then to the refurbished section…and see what's there. You're very first decision will be…21" or 27" display. Then decide on the amount of ram needed…amount of storage needed…and what fits your budget.

After you do these four things…I'm sure you will be down to only a couple choices.:)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

And be aware that the Apple Refurbished offerings change from day to day as the inventory changes. So if you see the "perfect" system for you, don't hesitate, go for it.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If you already have a decent monitor and keyboard why not try a used or refurb Mac Mini. Your/her needs don't sound all that power intensive. A 2012 vintage i7 Mac Mini should easily handle anything you throw at it, and the RAM is easily and cheaply upgradeable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I don't think it will be that hard to switch your wife over to an iMac or whatever apple computer. My husband has zero computer skills - none... nada. I bought him a 15" windows laptop and spent a lot of time teaching him how to maneuver on the internet. What drove him nuts was the constant updates and "please wait while updates are being installed" messages.

I purchased him a nice used 2011 21.7" iMac that had a new SSD installed. He just needs it for the internet. I was amazed how easily he caught on. I set the desktop up to have the same icon shortcuts he was use to so all he had to do was click and he was on the internet. I use google chrome and it looked identical so he was all set. I input his google mail address and all his bookmarks were exactly where he left them. ;)

There is a learning curve if you have no experience with OS X but be patient and ask questions. Some things work differently but it all works and better in a lot of ways.

And now I don't have to listen to him rant because "the stupid computer is updating again." :D

Basic machine specs: At minimum a 256GB SSD or hard drive. An SSD is a better choice as it really increases the speed but they are more expensive. If she is into storing pictures or videos on it, up that storage need to 500GB or 1TB. At least 8GB of system memory. An i5 or i7 processor - either is fine. Screen size is a personal preference.

Lisa

Reaction score
Can't wait to see the adjectives and word replacements the first time she gets hit by MacKeeper etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You do mean you will not be installing mackeeper - right? Or did you mean Gatekeeper?

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Personally, I bought a used iMac Retina 27" off of eBay. Got what I wanted at a price that was acceptable, and it's still under Apple warranty (which gives me the option to add AppleCare).

if you go with the Retina models, understand the specs. What I found out is that generally, the first gen Retina (late 2014) was actually better equipped than the newest generation in terms of power. The newer model can drive an external hi-res monitor while also using the in-built display. I don't care - doesn't help me.

Apple Refurbished definitely allows you to bring the price down a bit off of new retail, but not enough to make it worth it to NOT buy a quality used computer (IMHO).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.