automatically add to iTunes

Reaction score
Hi All, I have a new Mac Pro,i want to download my music from my old Mac,I believe i have all my music downloaded to a thumb drive and this is where the problem begins,i have tried different methods suggested online and nothing seems to work,even the auto add to iTunes.:Sleeping:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
OP
G
Reaction score
I have tried that but for some reason I don't have an iTunes folder on my ext.stick,only music how ever all my music from the old computer is in the music folder,I am so computer challenged!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
There are basically two parts to your iTunes library - the media files themselves, and a handful of additional data files that tell iTunes where everything is located.

On the OLD Mac - launch iTunes. Click the iTunes menu at the top, then choose Preferences. Click the Advanced tab. This will show you the location of the iTunes folder ON the machine that contains all of the data files. You need a complete backup of this folder. Get yourself a different external drive and copy this folder to it.

On the NEW Mac - launch iTunes and find the media library folder like you did above. Shut down iTunes. Launch Finder and locate that iTunes folder. Rename it to iTunes.orig.

Access the external drive that you copied your iTunes folder to, grab the folder, and drag it over to where the original folder was. Let it copy.

Eject the external drive, connect the drive with all of the media files, launch iTunes. Test.

Note - with the exception of the step above to rename the iTunes folder on the new mac, do NOT change anything! Do not delete, edit, or move and files or folders - copies only.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi, my problem is I get lost after the advance tab,I can't seem to be able to make the copy.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi, my problem is I get lost after the advance tab,I can't seem to be able to make the copy.

What Ember is saying is that in the Advanced Tab, it will show you the exact path to your iTunes Folder. (eg it might say, library/users/pictures/iTunes Folder - I'm making this up as I've no idea where yours is located - but there will be such a path)

To copy it, close out of iTunes and use Finder to locate that folder, following the path. Then COPY, not move, it to a separate External Hard Drive. (Cmd + C / Cmd + V for example). And carry on from there, following Ember's excellent & detailed instructions.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to clarify what you mean by "synced"? Do you mean that you lost music from your iPhone because you overwrote it with a new sync action? If that's true, there is software available that can attempt to recover items from your iPhone that may have been deleted. However, anything that was overwritten can not be recovered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.