EchoMac.

S

sllewk

Hi, I have an Apple Mac Mini model A1347 late 2012 running El Capitan OS and I am a qualified amateur radio operator. I used to run EchoLink on my old Windows machine but sadly I cannot run it on my Mini. I am almost 82 years old and circumstances force me to take all my antennas down as I cannot maintain them, hence having to use VOiP software. Are there any other radio hams out there running Macs who could assist me please? I can, and have, downloaded EchoMac but all I get is a list of countries, no ideas as to how to access any of them or even make a transmission. Usually there is a list of world wide hams available to talk to but I cannot get them at all. Obviously I am doing something wrong but I have not got a clue as to what.
Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This page is for a newer version of that program but might help you get started http://www.apphugs.com/echoham.html

Not an operator yet myself but my nephew is. From what I read a few months ago I did not think this was possible but judging from the video it seems possible. I have avoided working on the license because I would have the same problem that you do maintaining the antenna that you do.

BTW just out of curiosity on my part would one of the portable radios work for you or would you still have the same antenna issues?

OP
M

MacInWin

I've downloaded the software and applied for the validation. Once I have that, I'll give it a go and get back to you with what I see.

W1HRE

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I saw something which suggests that there may be need to change certain router settings for your program to work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgU7nMqMPiM

Also, I am assuming you have verified/registered your call sign with the echo link servers.

OP
M

MacInWin

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake I had intended to post some information that I found about port forwarding.

OP
M

MacInWin

OK, the port forwarding shown in the second video worked well. I was able to connect to the ECHOTEST server and do a test. My audio was really poor but that's my hardware not the link. So what I would recommend for the OP is that he get EchoHam at the link Slydude gave in post #2, then watch the video I linked to about changing ports and you should be good to go. The port forwarding link was for Apple's router, but whatever router you have should have a similar setup.

BTW, I was near Derby in April. Stayed in a lovely cottage near Wirksworth, visited Bakewell. Lovely country!

OP
M

MacInWin

I was able to use a set of Apple earphones for the iPhone to get good audio in and out of the ECHOTEST server, so the port forwarding definitely works.

W1HRE

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake. Some info I had read several months ago suggested that this type connection wasn't good/possible. If you like this arrangement let me know. I might be motivated to work on licensing if I don't have to invest in a lot of gadgetry. Spouses seem to think that there is such a thing as too many gadgets. :D

OP
M

MacInWin

Sly, I haven't actually used it to make any contacts, but it did test well at the ECHOTEST link. I may do more searching on how EchoLink works because I have antenna difficulties, too. I was going to use a short wire antenna, but the one place on my house where I can attach the antenna is over 30 feet up and the ground below is sloped away which makes it pretty difficult to figure out how to get up there. If I can use EchoLink to chat, that would be sweet.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sure hope OP checks back in…and takes advantage of all the great help!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Hello sllewk. The program I use is Hamsphere. It's got a free trial for thirty day's. Just go to www.hamsphere.com for the details. The rig I have built covers from 70 cm to 160 Metres. Well worth a look. The Yearly membership fee is € 30.00. You can even build your own Rig to your standards.

I have just taken a look at the EchoLink website and Hampshire way outstrips it.

Attached is a picture of my All Coverage Rig.

All the best.

De: GM1 DVO

Radio Receiver.png

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Attached is a picture of my All Coverage Rig.

Pretty cool looking rig you got there Gandalph. Very interesting.:)

Thanks for jumping in.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is really interesting guys. I've been thinking about getting into this area since my nephew has his license. If some of the software mentioned reduces / eliminates the cost of equipment that's a huge bonus.

Each of you guys have way more experience in this area that I do. The tiny bit I know has come mainly from Google. Rather than hijack this thread further feel free to PM me with suggestions for getting off on the right foot (licensing etc). No rush. I've got several projects on the go at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
This is really interesting guys. I've been thinking about getting into this area since my nephew has his license. If some of the software mentioned reduces / eliminates the cost of equipment that's a huge bonus.

Each of you guys have way more experience in this area that I do. The tiny bit I know has come mainly from Google. Rather than hijack this thread further feel free to PM me with suggestions for getting off on the right foot (licensing etc). No rush. I've got several projects on the go at the moment.

I would suggest getting in touch with the American Amatuer Radio League as they control all State Licences. Find out where the nearest College is to your location, then contact the College and find out when their courses start, and just take it from there. HTH.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks that helps. When I looked at this a while ago I think there were even some internet classes available which would suit my schedule better.

I first got interested in amateur radio in the mid/late '70s the stopper for me was cost, getting the school to set up an antenna, and of course Morse Code proficiency.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe it's even easier than that nowadays. There are on line and home study courses sponsored by the AARL, and the FCC has done away with the morse code requirement. Here's a list of requirements to obtain the various classes of amatuer radio licenses.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I first got interested in amateur radio in the mid/late '70s the stopper for me was cost, getting the school to set up an antenna, and of course Morse Code proficiency.

Well, you no longer have to worry about the code requirement as the FCC did away with that back in 2007. That by the way, upset the "old timers". There have been many changes in the FCC licensing requirements. When I obtained my First Class FCC commercial license way back when, it had to be endorsed by a station manager every 3 years or military supervisor in order to be renewed. That requirement was also done away with and now the license is issued for life.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was pleasantly surprised a few weeks ago when I looked int9o this a bit and realized the code requirement had been dropped. At the time I was seeing info that suggested it would be impossible/next to impossible t9o set up a virtual rig. That being the case equipment costs were out of my budget at the time.

BTW Thanks for that link>its of good info there. Looks like I'll have to dig a bit for exam locations. The closest to me are a couple of hours away.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.