Gimp is frustrating!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
Gimp will apparently do everything I would want it to do, but to me... it is a lot harder to figure out than Photoshop!! I opened a picture & simply wanted to put a caption on it & change the font, size & color! I can't figure out how to simply get the text on the picture! Now matter what I do the "text formatting block" doesn't change when I try to change the font & size! Nothing changes & the damned formatting block won't go away at any point! Usually just putting text on a picture is easy peasy! I'm sure Gimp works great when you understand it, but YIKES Gimp makes me feel dumb as a rock compared to any other such program I've seen. I'm sure I just can't see the obvious with this application & the HELP section isn't any easier to understand! YIKES!

Mr D-umb

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Mr. D,

No, you're not dumb. Frustrated, yes.

It's years since I used GIMP. It is generally thought to be a good and free app.

However, why not try the app "Preview" which comes built in to every Mac.

Even I, who doesn't generally use "Preview" for photo editing, was able to do all the things you mentioned in your post. It is very intuitive.

Why not give it a go. BTW, it will probably be set to open any photo by default, ie just double click on the photo (provided the photo is not within an editor already). As a quick start, just copy the photo to your Desktop and double click on it.

Ian

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx IWT! I'll give preview a closer look. Maybe I've missed some of it's uses. Gimp is likely very good, but not very intuitive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Thanx IWT! I'll give preview a closer look. Maybe I've missed some of it's uses. Gimp is likely very good, but not very intuitive.

You're absolutely correct on that. It's got the UI you paid for ;) I've used it a lot, it'll do anything that Ps will, but it's a lot harder to use.

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just played with Preview a bit! It likely will do anything I need with a little learning on my part. If I keep learning about El Capitan compatible Apps, I may need to keep OS 10.6.8 around. The only thing I have not found that I need is a "SIMPLE" intuitive Video editing program the will use Quicktime Video to create a new movie I can put on a DVD. I loved the last versions of iMovie HD that were around when early versions of OS 10 were developed. It is still compatible with OS 10.6.8 It could be used for both Standard Def & High Def. Video & was super easy & intuitive to use. I find the new versions of iMovie very complicated to use for the guy who just wants to edit home movies & doesn't intend to submit his work to a film festival. LOL!

What is the easy video editing app that is compatible with El Capitan?

Thanx Guys!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Mr. D

Just to go back to Preview for a moment: here is a Link to a series of articles in a whole series about the Power of Preview. Once you've clicked on the Link, it takes you to one of these about Image Editing and from within the article itself, are further links to the whole series.

Hope this might ease the pain;D

Link: http://tidbits.com/article/16423

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@ Mr..D. Don't want to hijack the thread and go to far off topic but Quicktime Player that is often used to play movies can be used for basic editing. Here's an example.

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx IWT & Slydude! Very helpful! There are a lot of new uses to those apps. I've been stuck in OS 10.6.8 for a long time & not keeping up!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.