How to take photos from my camera to my ipad for editing?

Reaction score
If I take a bunch of photos on my Fuji camera, can I transport them to my ipad for editing?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without any further information regarding your camera... you may be able to use the Apple Camera Connection Kit to upload the photos to your iPad. You may also be able to sync your photos from your Mac or PC to your iPad. This assumes you first import the photos to your computer. See the following article and illustration.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Not without another device. You would first need to transfer the images to a laptop/desktop computer via a USB connection to your camera or a card reader (unless you have a camera with WiFi capability). From there you can sync them to your iPad via USB or online photo sharing services like iCloud Photo Stream, Microsoft OneDrive or even Drop Box but first you have to put them somewhere accessible by your iPad.
If the above options are not available to you, you could purchase an Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC531AM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit
I'm guessing there are other makes of the same thing but usually Apple products work best with Apple devices and it gives you the option of using the camera SD card which is how I transfer my photos to my MacBook Pro (no cables required).

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
chscag, you just beat me to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
On OS 10.6.8 if I simply connect a Sony digital camera to my laptop all the photos immediately load right to the Desktop.... BUT Apple makes it difficult to so the same with an iPhone I assume to try to control everything for the profit motive. With my iPhone I have to download to iPhoto before I can get the pictures to the Desktop for photo editing. I haven't tried loading photos "directly" to the Desktop with El Capitan. I hope it won't sill be a double or triple step process! I'd like to load pictures directly to the Desktop & then have a Apple created simple photo editor. It used to be doing things were much easier with Apple.... not so much any more! Same with video. It would be nice to have a "simple video editor" like the old iMovie editors for people that don't want to make a Hollywood movie, but just want to edit home videos.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not sure what the profit motive is in the scenario you describe since Photos is included on the Mac for free.

Photos is a basic editor but doesn't transfer pictures directly to the desktop. Photos stores them in its own database. If you use the Image Capture program included on your Mac it will pull photos from your Mac and put them wherever you like. The space to designate where photos are stored is in the lower left of the Image Capture Window. This should give you a head start.

This article describes a couple of methods for transferring photos. Choose the one you prefer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
If the camera has wifi you can load with the relevant wifi app. I've a non wifi camera and bought a wifi SD card (Toshiba, 16gb abdout £15) which uses an app called FlashAir and does the same thing. I generally use the card reader on my MBP but the wifi is great for backing up to my iPad/phone when I'm away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.