How can I Change Letter Cases in iTunes?

Reaction score
I have some iTunes music files that are all capitalized letters and others that are normal small case letters. Instead of me going through and renaming each capitalized music file’s data is there a way that I could make iTunes default all music files and their data to small caps? …a way in Terminal or through and the iTunes Music Library.xml file, or…?

I have swapped out the iTunes Music Library.xml file and the iTunes Library.itl file with new fresh files from an unused iTunes from another computer, but when I reinstall music files back into the Music folder it goes right back to being capitalized letters even though I had changed those large caps to small caps earlier.

I prefer not to rename 100’s of music files so I’m hoping there is a simpler way of doing this via some forced code somewhere. Any suggestions?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are a couple of scripts that might get the jb done if I am understanding what you want to do. This one has been around for a long time but may not work with newer versions of iTunes. The second one is more recent, requires OS X 10.10. or higher nd probably stands the best chance of working with recent versions of iTunes.

That is a great site for all kinds of iTunes-related scripts.

OP
I
Reaction score
I should have mentioned that I'm using OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard with iTunes 10.7 which is important information. I have been poking around and found 3rd party programs called renamers but none that are compatible with OSX 10.6.8. There is one Rename 1.7.0 that does work for regular folders and files but not for iTunes. And I'm looking to change all inputted data fields in iTunes. iBatch seems to be a very good program for this but I don't think they have a version for Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
I
Reaction score
ok thanks, I will try this one out and see, it says that there is an OSX 10.5 version so I assume that it should work for 10.6, yeah I had capitalized them myself a long time ago so that I could see the font size better on a smaller iPod screen, but now with bigger screens on everything I don't need this concept and it also limits the amount of data shown on 1 line when everything is in caps so I would like to now squeeze more letters onto 1 liners.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.