Transfer of WORD files from PC to MAC

Reaction score
I have a large file in WORD format on a PC that I would like to transfer to my Mac Book Pro.
Each of these files has several fotos. So far my efforts have transferred some files but the fotos wont transfer.
Can someone suggest a procedure to follow that will allow the fotos to come with the text?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Email it to yourself.

M

MacInWin

Or put the PC and MBP in the same network and copy them over, or use a cloud service like Dropbox, or save them from Word on the PC to Microsoft's One Drive then download from there to the MBP.

Lots of ways to accomplish it.

One thing is you might look at how you inserted the photos into the Word document to make sure they are actually embedded in the document. I don't know how that is done, but check anyway.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Each of these files has several fotos.

Are the photos imbedded in the Word document…or are the photos separate files?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a large file in WORD format on a PC that I would like to transfer to my Mac Book Pro.
Each of these files has several fotos. So far my efforts have transferred some files but the fotos wont transfer.
Can someone suggest a procedure to follow that will allow the fotos to come with the text?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) I'm assuming that your mean a MS Office Word file, i.e. *.doc or *.docx - correct? How large is the file and do you need it on your MBPro as a Word file, i.e. do you have the MS program on your Mac laptop? If the email suggestion does not work for you and if the file extension can be changed, have you explored the export functions of Word, e.g. as a PDF file? Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

- Nick

This is an excellent point as Word does not embed photos the same way as it does graphic files. In other words, if the photos were placed in the Word file with pointers to them, the photos will not stay with the file as it's emailed since the pointer would be lost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

- Nick

This is an excellent point as Word does not embed photos the same way as it does graphic files. In other words, if the photos were placed in the Word file with pointers to them, the photos will not stay with the file as it's emailed since the pointer would be lost.

Agree w/ Chscag - great suggestion Nick - I've not used Word now in over 3 years and cannot remember the photo options. Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Word file transfer from PC to MAC

I have a rather large folder of Word files from several years of work. The test is illustrated with b/w and color fotos. When these files were created, the fotos were simply added to the Word file. They have a .doc extension.
I have tried to transfer these to my MACbook Pro which I prefer to use over a PC. Unfortunately these files come thru without the illustrations. Try as I might, I cant reunite the illustrations with the text.
I would appreciate any help with upgrading my MAC files with the fotos.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What format are the photos in? (In the *.doc files.) And how are you copying or transferring them to your Mac?

Reaction score
I have a rather large folder of Word files from several years of work. The test is illustrated with b/w and color fotos. When these files were created, the fotos were simply added to the Word file. They have a .doc extension.
I have tried to transfer these to my MACbook Pro which I prefer to use over a PC. Unfortunately these files come thru without the illustrations.

Not all graphics formats, inserted into a Word document, will work cross-platform.

If you want to assure cross-platform compatibility, use one of these graphic formats:

GIF, JPEG, PNG, PDF

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...348d37c326a7?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1

OP
S
Reaction score
The fotos are .jpeg.
I have tried several methods of copying, Mainly via flash drives

OP
S
Reaction score
This is coming a bit late. However, I have recently reopened the subject.
Today, I have attempted to transfer via MS One Drive. Results-No Photos
So, does there seems to be a problem with "embedded photos"?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi
Can we pick up this subject again?
I dont follow the "pointers" subject.
The photos were copied into the file.
In subsequent moves within a PC, they have remained attached. Only when moving to a MAC, do they not follow.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Merged duplicate threads. Please keep a single topic within a single thread. Thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi
Can we pick up this subject again?
I dont follow the "pointers" subject.
The photos were copied into the file.
In subsequent moves within a PC, they have remained attached. Only when moving to a MAC, do they not follow.

There is still a question to be answered (at least I haven't spotted an answer).

By what means are you viewing these files on your Mac?

Do you have Office for Mac (2008, 2011, 2016) or 365 subscription?

Or using another app, whether native to Mac or otherwise?

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi IWT
I am viewing some files emailed using One Drive, but the folder arrives incomplete.
The file I have been able to transfer(sans photos) have arrived as .doc and .odt
I do not have the Office files you mention.
I dont have any other apps. What others are there?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@socarco,

Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to view any data created by Microsoft programmes on a PC (Word in your case), you will need the equivalent Microsoft product for the Mac; of which there are various options - Office for Mac (2011; still available, I think); Office for Mac (2016) or Office Subscription 365 for the Mac. These are all pay-for apps.

This explains why you cannot view the files in their entirety.

It is possible to view certain MS documents with some apps native to the Mac, but the complexity of your files likely makes this a non-starter. You could try opening a file with Pages (Right Click on the file and, from the dropdown menu, choose Open With > Pages).

There are free "office lookalikes" such as Libre Office, but again I'd stick with Office for Mac for such an important project.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know about the .odt files but you can view any .doc or .docx file on your Mac by highlighting the file and pressing your space bar. The Microsoft files likewise can be opened with TextEdit which you also have on your Mac, and you can edit them (very limited though). The .odt files from Open Office or LibreOffice, however, are different and can not be edited the same way.

OP
S
Reaction score
IWT:
I have sent the files by email and am viewing as such. I cant move them anywhere else. The .doc files come with fotos, the .odt without.
I do not have the Office for MAC apps. I do have Apache Open Office.
I hope this info helps.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@socarco

Thank you for your reply.

I've been re-reading this whole thread.

Getting the Word files to your Mac seems straightforward - several ways of doing this were mentioned in post#2 - Dropbox, for example (free and cross-platform). The key is making sure that what reaches your Mac is unadulterated by whichever method you choose.

The problem, as I see it, is the interrogation of these files such that they can become useful (and editable) and you have shared your frustration with the various means you have tried.

Our Admin, chscag, has suggested Preview (that's the click-to-highlight and hit spacebar method), Text Edit, and I offered Pages (Right click on file > dropdown menu > Open With > Pages). Presumably, you've tried all of these without success? I assume the same goes for Apache Open Office?

If you are sure that you have access to the correct, uncorrupted files on your Mac (from your email, for example), and none of the methods suggested works; then the only thing I can think of is getting Office for Mac. This is not cheap, I understand that. It's a question of how important your project is. You mention in your first post that is a "large' file. There is also the horrid worry that Office might not work either, but if you can do all you want with the file on your PC, then this should apply equally to Office for Mac.

I'm sorry, I'm not being more helpful.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.