Mac Mini as Music Server

D

detroitr

Hello, I bought a Mac Mini to use as a music server per the advice on PS audio's website recommending that music listeners should take this route, however I am having a series of challenges. I thought I could use an Ipad to control the Mini but I cannot figure out how to do so. I downloaded "Remote" but I don't see how to connect it to the Mini. It was recommended to use an Airport express as an exclusive router, but I cannot see it on the Ipad and suspect that the one I bought (A1264 for $22 on ebay) is too old to use, could this be true? Why do I need an exclusive router anyway - can the Ipad not directly communicate with the Mini? Also when I open the Remote program on the Ipad, it brings up some music that I have stored on my NAS but I did not add it to any list that I know of. It says it is stored in my music file. Where is this file - on the Ipad? I am so confused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Tell us about the Mini. There are no less than fourteen different models and some came with Airport cards and some didn't. What operating system is on the Mini? And yes it could be too old. Some early Minis are PowerPC models which will not work with anything much in this day and age of Intel processors.

OP
D

detroitr

I just bought the Mini from Apple refurbished. It says "Late 2014" 1.4 GHz 1600 with El Capitan 10.11.5, the airport is the A1264 - can't access, Ipad is A1432 model MF432LL/A with 9.3.2 version OS. I was going to run it out of the USB to an external DAC.

OP
D

detroitr

Should I just start with a newer airport router? I also tried airport utility on my windows laptop but there's nothing on the scan.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you got that worked out. I didn't think to suggest that when I read the thread earlier.

BTW For the benefit of others reading this thread, you don't necessarily need an Apple router to accomplish this. It should work with any router though some people find the Airport setup utility easier to use than other similar software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.