• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Several iMovie '09 Bugs?

Reaction score
Greetings, I'm using version 8.0.6 iMovie (I know it's old, but it came with the computer) for the first time and am having a hard time of it. I edited together a bunch of clips (over the course of several hours) until I had what I was looking for and it seemed fine. When I played it back, however, I found that for most of the clips one of the two stereo channels had vanished. I checked the original clips and they still had both channels, so I laboriously assembled a new version with the same components. Then I checked all the operations I did to fine tune it and discovered that the precision editor was the culprit. Whenever I extended the sound from one or the other adjacent clips (to cover a momentary dead spot between background sound in adjacent clips) it resulted in the loss of one stereo channel in either the clip before or the clip after. Always the same channel. So without this function I have choppy audio in the movie or lose a channel in the sound.

In this same exercise I made up a title page, which worked fine, but when I wanted a second page of text I could get nothing. Clicking the title themes (centered, top, etc.) does nothing. Transitions: nothing. So I have a title page but can add no other text.

Were all the iterations this bad? As it is I could only do the simplest no-frills home movie-type video. And it would have taken less time if I was editing 35mm film on a moviola!

Does anyone have any suggestions for these issues? And don't tell me to upgrade - if simple software is this buggy, I can only imagine the many ways the more sophisticated versions can waste my time!

Thanks.

OP
H
Reaction score
Greetings, I'm using version 8.0.6 iMovie (I know it's old, but it came with the computer) for the first time and am having a hard time of it. I edited together a bunch of clips (over the course of several hours) until I had what I was looking for and it seemed fine. When I played it back, however, I found that for most of the clips one of the two stereo channels had vanished. I checked the original clips and they still had both channels, so I laboriously assembled a new version with the same components. Then I checked all the operations I did to fine tune it and discovered that the precision editor was the culprit. Whenever I extended the sound from one or the other adjacent clips (to cover a momentary dead spot between background sound in adjacent clips) it resulted in the loss of one stereo channel in either the clip before or the clip after. Always the same channel. So without this function I have choppy audio in the movie or lose a channel in the sound.

In this same exercise I made up a title page, which worked fine, but when I wanted a second page of text I could get nothing. Clicking the title themes (centered, top, etc.) does nothing. Transitions: nothing. So I have a title page but can add no other text.

Were all the iterations this bad? As it is I could only do the simplest no-frills home movie-type video. And it would have taken less time if I was editing 35mm film on a moviola!

Does anyone have any suggestions for these issues? And don't tell me to upgrade - if simple software is this buggy, I can only imagine the many ways the more sophisticated versions can waste my time!

Thanks.

An update: Things continue to deteriorate with my '09. It started crashing at the least provocation, including if I connect my camera to the computer. I can't start a new project (although the first was never satisfactorily completed, due to the above), as it won't import images. I was lucky to be able to export the incomplete initial project so it can be salvaged elsewhere at a later date. In general this application has imploded and is useless. Again, any insight? Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hard to say. What model Mac and what operating system? Vital information. I would first start with suspecting a failing hard drive. You can use Recovery Mode OS X.7 or later, for earlier operating systems you will have to boot from the system install disc and run Repair Disk and see what is reported.

OP
H
Reaction score
My apologies for wording my post badly. What I meant to say was not that the computer crashes, but that the iMovie application has taken to quitting. Restarting it seems to have fixed the title page issue, but it still has this bizarre problem where if I offset the audio in the transition between two clips either way it eliminates one stereo track, either on the clip before or the clip after the transition. It is absolutely consistent in this, and if I undo the offset it goes back to normal. So my problem is that I can't smooth the audio transition between two clips without losing a channel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.