pop email question on new iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I know the difference in imap and pop3. I understand with imap when you delete an email one place it deletes it everywhere.

My 2008 iMac has snow leopard and operates on a pop3 account (AT&T/yahoo).
My 2015 10.10.5 set itself up as imap (same provider).

I a getting a new iMac. Am I correct to assume it will set up automatically with imap? Can I make it stay pop3?

I am asking because I actually like having my desk top as my "work" computer where emails can be kept as long as I need them (sometimes years) even though they have been deleted from yahoo.

I don't like all those emails on my lap top since it is more of an entertainment computer.

And I sure don't want all those emails on my phone.

I hope my question is clear.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Nancy:

It depends on your ISP. I have both POP and IMAP accounts with Google (gmail), but it's my understanding that all new accounts are automatically entered as IMAP. I'm assuming that if you already have a POP account with Yahoo that it will remain that way. The age of the Mac does not matter (new or old); what matters is your account. In other words, when you buy your new iMac, unless you open a new account you should be able to use your new iMac with your existing POP account. Of course there may be a future time when all ISPs will require their client accounts to be IMAP but for now you should be OK.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Thanks for letting me know the reasoning. I thought it was because my 2008 was ancient.

M

MacInWin

If you want to retain emails forever with an IMAP account, create an archive of the emails and then write a rule that says for every incoming email to that IMAP address copy it to the archive. That way when the IMAP emails "age" out and the server deletes them, you'll still have a copy.

Last edited:
OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Thanks for that tip also! Learn something new everyday!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.