• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

imovie file won't play on dvd player?

Reaction score
Hey guys I have made a movie on IMovie on my Mac. It's basically a 16 minute slide show for our preschool graduation. IMovie had to be converted to an MPEG before it could be burned on a DVD. We have burned it to DVD's but it will only play on laptops and PCs ... it won't play on a DVD player. We need it to play on a regular DVD player. We also need it to play on PCs ... in other words , whoever buys the DVD we have to make sure they can play it on whatever they have.

It is my biggest fund raiser of the year so I have to get it to play on everything. I've converted it to Mpeg but do I need to convert the format to something else to have it play on PCs and DVD players? Or what can I do here please? Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't know what software you are using to do the burning but I think I know the problem. The slideshow was probably burned as a Mac/PC data disc. Go back through the software and set it as though you are going to burn a video DVD. This will play in a standard DVD player but also plays in a Mac or PC.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry I was just about to reply, the friend I was inquiring for said she found the answer, please delete this thread with my apologies, thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
I still sent your instructions to her for future purposes, thanks again.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. We'll leave the thread though in case someone has a similar question.

You might mention to her that when you select video as the option some burning software does the conversion for you as part of the burning process. It will, for example, take .mp4 video and convert it to the MPEG format that the video DVD needs to play in the player. That process is usually slow butt means the user does not have to know the correct settings (resolution, frame size, rate, etc).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. Glad to help. I did a similar project about a month ago and there are all sorts of little quirks that can introduce gremlins into the mix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.