ogg vorbis on a Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I'm trying to stream one of my favorite internet sites thru itunes and it's just not going to happen. At one time I could but they've switched to an ogg vorbis format. Any suggestions on players that will stream it. They also do shoutcast on the site as well, I think.

Thanks for any insight.

:dive:

Reaction score
VLC plays streaming Ogg, along with nearly everything else except DRM-protected Windows Media stuff. It allows full-screen QuickTime movies without having to pay for QuickTime pro.

Apparently iTunes will play archived Ogg files but doesn't support streaming.

Regarding QuickTime and Ogg, this page says:
This project aims to develop QuickTime components for popular open source audio and video codecs. We are currently working on Ogg Vorbis, an audio codec http://www.vorbis.com, and MNG, an animation video codec.

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
Thanks I'd been trying everything. I'd checked out the vorbis website awhile back but could never figure out how to get it to work with quicktime. If you happen to know I'd love to know. I'd been using VLC for movies that I couldn't play with QT. Sadly VLC doesn't let me know what song is playing currently, but that's cool. I just refresh the browser and I'm good to go. Oh yea the site is ormgas.com (Remixed Video Game music...a lot of good stuff there. There's a podcast too for it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You drop that library for Quicktime into the Library/Quicktime folder. Be sure to restart.

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I did, it still looks at me like I'm crazy, lol. I dunno what I'm doing wrong. Alas the struggles of a mac noob.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.