Free Photoshop type App, "OR is Gimp a con job?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
Are Gimp, or any of the "so called" free photoshop type apps legit?? I went to download Gimp & the location tried to put a number of Apps. on my HD that you have to pay for! Are Apps like Gimp a con job or, are there any "Open Source" type apps that have some of the lower/basic abilities of Photoshop, or are they all con jobs just to sell other applications? thanx

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are Gimp, or any of the "so called" free photoshop type apps legit?? I went to download Gimp & the location tried to put a number of Apps. on my HD that you have to pay for! Are Apps like Gimp a con job or, are there any "Open Source" type apps that have some of the lower/basic abilities of Photoshop, or are they all con jobs just to sell other applications? thanx

You didn't say what web site you went to that tried to foist commercial software on you, so I can't comment on that.

I can tell you that open source software in general, and Gimp in particular, are definitely "legit". There may be sites that are using open source software as part of a scam to get you to purchase other software, so you have to be careful where you get your open source software. Gimp is a very powerful program that may indeed serve you as a replacement for Photoshop.

Here is a very nice site that lists a bunch of the best open source software for the Macintosh, and the best places to get it:
http://opensourcemac.org/

Here is where to get a copy of Gimp:

Gimp (free)
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
http://www.gimp.org/

You can get Gimpshop (free) from here:
http://www.gimpshop.com/
(both Gimp and Gimpshop are the same program, but Gimpshop has an interface more like Photoshop)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems to be working fine for me now as well. I guess whatever the problem was turned out to be something temporary.

Reaction score
Yes, it's working fine for me now too. Krita Studio turns out to be the commercial version of the product for those who need support.

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded Gimp with no problem! Use guys is da best! Thanx!

Last edited:
OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was looking for an app like Gimp for (1) altering contrast, sharpness, etc. on photos before printing them, & (2) adding captions to photos & Gifs easily. So far I haven't had time to see if Gimp will do that easily. Like Photoshop it takes time to figure out without someone showing you. Any other free Apps that would be better at doing 1 & 2 above?

"Pages" is a free App like MS Word! It works fine on the newest OS! Cool! I bet MicroSoft doesn't like "Pages".

Back in college in the Middle Ages, I used to do B & W Photography. I think I might try it again & simply print with my new Brother printer. Easy & cheap, without the headaches of color printing.

I sent some color pictures to Walmart over the internet & they came back as good as I can print at home. Even with shipping it's cheaper than buying printing supplies & cussing at the printer. 4x6 prints were 9¢ a piece.... the postage was more than the pictures! LOL! Not pushing Walmart which I'm not fond of, but just say'n for those tired of printing common pictures!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was looking for an app like Gimp for (1) altering contrast, sharpness, etc. on photos before printing them, & (2) adding captions to photos & Gifs easily. So far I haven't had time to see if Gimp will do that easily. Like Photoshop it takes time to figure out without someone showing you. Any other free Apps that would be better at doing 1 & 2 above?

It sounds like you aren't looking for a Photoshop replacement at all (Photoshop being a very complex program designed for, and mostly used by, professionals), but rather a low-end photo editing utility for ordinary users.

If you are running a recent version of OS X, Preview, included with OS X, can do both of the tasks that you want to do quite easily. Within Preview, click on the button in the toolbar that looks like a toolbox to disclose a number of tools. The tool whose icon looks like a prism will open a window with sliders to quickly allow you to adjust things like contrast, sharpness, saturation, etc. The tool whose icon looks like the letter "A" will allow you to add styled text to photos.

If you want something with more features, but which is still free and easy to use, check out:

ImageTricks (free)
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/imagetricks/overview.php

PhotoScape X (free)
http://x.photoscape.org/mac/

"Pages" is a free App like MS Word! It works fine on the newest OS! Cool! I bet MicroSoft doesn't like "Pages".

Pages isn't exactly free. It is included with new Macs, but otherwise it is a commercial application. However it is very reasonably priced at $20. It's a nice word processor with built-in page layout functionality, but Apple recently completely overhauled it, which brought with it a decrease in features. It isn't nearly as full featured as Word, and Pages' native file format is Mac-only. Conversely, Word has just about any feature you might ever need, and it is designed to work perfectly across platforms. (Word is sort of the Photoshop of word processors.)

I don't think that Microsoft is too worried about Pages. Word is the de facto standard for word processing in businesses around the world, even on the Macintosh. I'm sure that Pages' sales are tiny compared to Word's.

I sent some color pictures to Walmart over the internet & they came back as good as I can print at home. Even with shipping it's cheaper than buying printing supplies & cussing at the printer. 4x6 prints were 9¢ a piece.... the postage was more than the pictures! LOL! Not pushing Walmart which I'm not fond of, but just say'n for those tired of printing common pictures!

We've had conversations about this in other Mac discussion forums. For someone who prints infrequently, Walmart is indeed cheaper, if not as convenient. However, if you use third party (non-OEM, usually from China) ink cartridges and print multiple prints to reasonably priced glossy inkjet photo paper, the cost of printing at home can be fairly competitive. But the main advantage of having an inkjet color printer at home (or even in your office) isn't cost, it's the flexibility that you have in making sure that your prints come out exactly as you want them to.

Reaction score
If you are running a recent version of OS X, Preview, included with OS X, can do both of the tasks that you want to do quite easily.
I just checked, and even if you are running a very old version of OS X/Preview, Preview can still do just what you want. In much older versions of Preview, look in the Tools menu for "Adjust Color" and "Text Tool."

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good idea Randy. I didn't think of that. Should have though. I've used Preview before when I got totally frustrated by Photoshop. I'd managed to do some color correction in Photoshop but since I'm no genius with that program I couldn't get the last bit right. I was working exploring Preview's feature at the time and decided to experiment just for the heck of it. IN about a half hour if fiddling with it I had finished something I couldn't finish in Photoshop.

Reaction score
I'm not an expert when it comes to graphics applications by any means, but I do have a favorite app for image manipulation. I end up using it all the time because it is so useful:

Graphic Converter ($26)
https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/

As you can tell from the name, Graphic Converter can convert just about any file format you come across to something familiar. It would be useful just for that, but it is also an extremely powerful image manipulation program. I use it to reduce the file size of photos before I e-mail them, correct for color and other mistakes when I take pictures, crop and otherwise spruce-up photos. Graphic Converter is almost as powerful as Photoshop, and it is well worth its modest price.

Macworld recommends it highly:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2863616/the-first-10-apps-to-install-on-your-brand-new-mac.html

Reaction score

I downloaded Gimp on my I Mac about 2 yrs ago had no prroblem nothing to pay for. I use it regularly to edit my photos.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll add a +1 to Randy's suggestion of Graphic Converter. Several years ago I was working on a project for the local university. I had access to Photoshop at the university but not at home. I downloaded and tried Graphic Converter for use on my home system. I was pleased to discover that it was quite powerful and did everything I needed it to do. I could easily save in formats that Photoshop would use.

One bonus for me was the transparency tool Both programs had this tool but something behaved a little differently int the two programs. For reasons I don't remember the tool behavior make sense in GC and didn't in Photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2009 5,3 OS10.11 + iMac2017 18,3 OS 10.13.6 + G4 Powerbook 2001 OS9.2 & 10.4.11
I certainly second Graphic Converter - I find it especially useful, secondary to my main photo processing prog DxO optics, for the stamp tool and host for Focus Magic sharpening and movement correction plug-in. I also use it as my main indexing system for collection of about 50k of images acquired over last 12 years. As it is a mac bred prog, its browsers closely follow finder protocols.

I did try using Gimp for a while, but it is very slow and especially as keyboard commands go to its 'host' X11, not the prog direct. However there is a 700+ page manual, so that if you want to follow a Photoshop trick or sequence, you can. It is also so nice to know there are geeks who use their skills for the free common good* instead of charging the earth for their near-monopoly.

* as well as on this forum!!!!

Reaction score
Why the heck aren't you using Photos for the base editing???. It is part of your base Apple software. I do all my photography in RAW and most processing in Photos which covers all the basics. Open an image in Photos, click on Edit then Adjust and open the Options for a range of editing tools that covers the basics very adequately. I also file all my images in Photos which has some nice features (identify by faces)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why the heck aren't you using Photos for the base editing???.

Good question. We have had many users post and complain that Photos was not as good as iPhoto and indicate that they absolutely refuse to use it. It's known as "resistance to change" with a little bit of stubborn thrown in. The Photos program in my opinion is every bit as good and easy to use as iPhoto is/was. You just need to dig in and start using it. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2009 5,3 OS10.11 + iMac2017 18,3 OS 10.13.6 + G4 Powerbook 2001 OS9.2 & 10.4.11
Good question. We have had many users post and complain that Photos was not as good as iPhoto and indicate that they absolutely refuse to use it. It's known as "resistance to change" with a little bit of stubborn thrown in. The Photos program in my opinion is every bit as good and easy to use as iPhoto is/was. You just need to dig in and start using it. ;D

The question was on Photoshop equivalent(s), which implies intention to do some fairly sophisticated editing. I don't think Photos is in there; as a long term PS hater, I wish it was. It is probably fine for casual photography on subjects having strong colours in good light

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.