Help stop annoying dialogue boxes in Safari, please!

Reaction score
This is driving me nuts. When using Safari on my MacBook Pro I get annoying dialogue boxes that appear when I do things like use the back arrow or even click on the subject field on my home page (using Yahoo home as my homepage), a variety of smaller windows/boxes that say things like "Open in New Window, Open in New Tab, Rename" etc. or "Paste, Spelling and Grammar, Substitutions" etc. and others. It takes multiple clicks to make them go away but they reappear on other web addresses I am visiting when I use the back arrow or click on a link that may be in that site. It is driving me NUTS. How can I make them stop??? Complicating matters, there does not seem to be a "reset Safari" in the (latest) version I am using or I would start all over. Had the same problem with Firefox on a previous MacBook Pro so I didn't even bother to install it on this new (refurb from Apple) one. Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It might help if you provided what OS X version you're using.

Have to tried booting up into Safe Boot Mode in case it's due to some extension which should be disabled when so booted.

Are you using some "Accessibility" access option settings in your System prefs pref pane?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is not normal behaviour for Safari nor is it a preference within the app that I can think of. So do what Pm-r suggests and if it does not continue in that mode you can be sure it is attributable to some third party software.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I also notice that some of the actions you describe are Right Click actions and I am assuming you are referring to the Left Click function. Are you using a mouse or the trackpad?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I did boot in safe mode, nothing showing there. I am using left click on the mouse. The annoying boxes continue to appear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You still haven't told us what OS X version you're using, but it doesn't matter too much IF and as it sounds like you're using or have invoked the use of Contextual Menus with your setup and use.

And PS: what mouse/trackpad are you using???

I'd start checking your System Preferences -> Mouse settings. Click the "?" in the window if you need more help.

Or just google how to set it up and use it or use your builtin Apple Help:
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=mac+using+contextual+menus&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am using El Capitan 10.11.5 and an Apple mouse, thanks again

Thanks. But I'll point out that I have a awful time using any recent Apple mouse mainly because I have "lazy fingers" and ten to keep them on the mouse, my body has lousy capacitance and mainly because the Apple mice don't actually use a switch per se, but do use a sensing elect to sense the clicks.

If you can't get it working properly for your use, you might want to pickup and try a more normal mouse, especially one that's Mac compatible like most of the Microsoft or Logitech mice.

I usually like and use the USB wireless mice but they do need a tiny dongle, as I find most Bluetooth mice tend to have an annoying lag. But give some a try, Apple is sure not the only mouse maker in town and for all I know, maybe yours is goofy and not working properly and compounding your problem.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the same thing happen with the trackpad?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.