Ad Blockers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
I currently have 2 ad blockers downloaded, Ghostery and AdBlock. I can disable AdBlock but can't for Ghostery. Ghostly has become a bit of a pain in that it tells me what it has done every time I change sites. Do I need 2 programs? If not, how do I get rid of Ghostery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Only you know if you need 2 adblockers. You didn't say which browser yo are using, but if you are using Safari, go into Safari Preferences and click on the Extensions tab. You should be able to uninstall Ghostery there.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
AdBlock does all that I need, so I uninstalled Ghostery the way you told. Thanks Bob.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ghostery is a better ad blocker than Adblock is and I would suggest that you keep it. Getting rid of that alert bubble is simple, click on the Ghostery icon, then the Gear and choose Options. In the Options tab, choose the Advanced tab and uncheck the "Show alert bubble" option. Ghostery will now just show a number of things it blocked with that silly bubble.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@earley,

Well, you've deleted Ghostery, fair enough.

In addition to what Ashwin said in post #4, you could have not only got rid of the nuisance bubble, but easily whitelisted any sites of your choosing. I run both Adblock Plus & Ghostery because they are complementary rather than competitive. (Adblock Plus, as you might expect, blocks Ads :Blushing: ; whereas Ghostery blocks sites from tracking you). But each to his/her own.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
On the subject of Ad blockers (as many interested people will be drawn to this thread) two comments that show the need for them.

Firstly, having been on, say, a site selling external hard disks I am then bombarded with ads from said company telling me they sell external hard disks. Each time I shout at the screen "I already know that you stupid people - I've just been looking at them". So their advertising far from being useful in bring attention to their company only acts to annoy and agitate potential customers.

Secondly, having browsed the web for say noise-cancelling headphones as a present for my wife, what I really don't want is to see ads for said headphones popping up when we are looking at potential holiday flights together thus totally wrecking the surprise. Thank you (not) Amazon and Google ads!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Secondly, having browsed the web for say noise-cancelling headphones as a present for my wife, what I really don't want is to see ads for said headphones popping up when we are looking at potential holiday flights together thus totally wrecking the surprise. Thank you (not) Amazon and Google ads!

Yes…this is a very good reason to install the apps!:)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
Thanks to all for your help. I have reinstalled Ghostery and eliminated the nuisance bubble. Again, thanks to all for your help.
Earle

Reaction score
Here's a different suggestion. Why not go with a (free) Web browser that already has the features that you want seamlessly integrated into the program? (No need to worry if an extension is enabled, if it isn't fully compatible, etc.)

Suggestions:

Opera (free)
http://www.opera.com/
(Has built-in ad blocker. Will soon have a free integrated VPN service!)
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3060061/web-browsers/opera-browser-bakes-in-free-vpn.html

Epic (free)
https://www.epicbrowser.com/
(Epic is extremely serious about security. It blocks ads, it blocks trackers, it encrypts your data, etc.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.