New Mac mini user - well, sort of

Reaction score
I switched from Microsoft Windows to Debian GNU/Linux back in 1999. I enjoyed it so much that Linux became my sole system two weeks after installing Debian. I then moved from Linux to FreeBSD in 2014. Last year I bought a Mac mini (late 2012 base model) and enjoyed it so much that my Linux box ended up collecting dust. Since that time I have moved my entire life to iOS and OS X and couldn't be happier.

My current devices:
iPhone 6s
iPad Pro 9.7
Mac mini 6,1

I'm currently thinking about buying a Macbook but not sure which model I want, have to do some research to see which one best serves my needs.

Thank you, Apple!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums. You might want to look over the "Buyer's Guide" here at this link to get some idea of what you want and if it's a good time to buy.

Reaction score
Just my opinion but I think if you're looking to buy a MacBook, the 13" Pro is probably the best way to go. There's really not a major size difference between the Pro and the Air.. it's negligible enough to not matter. The display on the pro is better (retina). Better processor, more RAM. It really depends on your needs though and what you're looking for. If the display isn't a huge deal to you (it's a major deciding factor for me, personally so we may differ there) and you just really want to run OS X the Air isn't a terrible option. From what I've seen, it also has excellent battery life. So it's really just a matter of preference. You may also want a larger display, etc.

In any event, welcome to the world of Apple! You've made the right choice. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.