Filmed 4K vids on iPhone 6s; choppy in OSX Photos

Reaction score
Didn't realize filming at 4k would not work with my 2010 13" MBP running 10.10.5. Any way to "down-convert" these to 1080 so I can watch them on my (old) Mac?

They're in Photos now and are really choppy.

If I click+drag the video into a finder folder to export it, then play that, its virtually smooth. But I have about 200 vids from a Europe trip. Am I stuck leaving them in Photos as-is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Part of the problem is your older mac does not have the correct encoder on board to run it. There is also a lack of screen resolution too. Try downloading VLC media player. The newest release is supposed to handle those issues and play 4K video. I have used this little player for many years and it has always played anything I threw at it. It is free but they will accept donations.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, Lisa. I dl'd it, but the 4k videos are still in Photos, and not accessible from VLC. Do you know a way to get at those videos that are inside the Photos library?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can click and drag the videos out of Photos. I takes a while but it will work. I found this YouTube Video that shows how because it is NOT a very intuitive process because there is no popup showing it is working but the video shows how to check.

I also found - as explained in the video - I had to hold down the shift key and then click on it, release the shift key and drag it to the folder I wanted it in. I then went back and looked at the top of the Photos folder and a little circle appeared that I could click on to see the progress. The circle appears in the upper left corner at the end of the sizing slider.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
It worked! But wow is that a slow export process.

Interestingly, I did a "Quick Look" of the exported m4v file and it played smoothly (didn't even have to convert down to 1080). This is the same 4k video that was super choppy in Photos! Do you happen to know if this is normal? What a weird and terrible Photos quirk!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't really use Photos nor did I use iPhotos. I tend to organized my photos and videos in folders and use Photoshop to tweak photos and Premiere Pro for editing videos. I do know there are still some glitches in Photos and it seems playing 4K video could be one.

You are right - exporting out of Photos takes forever it seems. I just avoid it all together.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.