Apple ID security compromised

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010) 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Macintosh HD ATI Radeon HD 5670
In the last few days I have been receiving messages on my 2 iPhones , laptop and iPads telling me to reset my Apple ID password. (These are not emails. They appear as dialogue boxes on the apple devices, so its not an email scam)
Around the same time I received a Netflix email saying that my password may have been compromised.
Yep, both passwords are the same. Not saying that they are related though. Netflix says they aren't.

Got into my Apple ID profile and found that the security questions have changed, so I can't change anything.
Also my birthdate has been changed as has the mobile phone number.
If I Google the mobile phone number there is a Russian and Chinese reference.

I am the only person in a family of 2 that accesses the Apple ID details. My wife does purchase stuff for her iPad, and it seems as of now, no other purchases have been made.

Any advice?

Thanks
Robert K

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Call apple! Tell them what you posted. There is definitely an issue. And if you have a credit card attached to your profile I would cancel it. I had my account compromised and someone has $151.00 of iTunes whatever on my dime. My card took the charges off but when I called apple they had no explanation except to change my password and cancel the card - which I had done. But it sounds like you have a bigger issue. Call Apple.

https://getsupport.apple.com/

Lisa

Reaction score
Yes, call Apple immediately. And for the future, please turn on two-step verification on your Apple ID. This forces you to provide a code that appears on one of your devices along with your password whenever you log in.

I also suggest using long, random and unique passwords with the help of a password manager like 1Password.

More security-related advice from yours truly:
http://www.mac-forums.com/security-awareness/333699-lockdown-thermonuclear-security.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.