Transferring files from mac to ExFAT drive erased everything!

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have dual boot with OS Yosemite and Windows 10, I got a problem that I transferred files from my mac to an ExFAT drive that I use with both OS'es and when I opened it on windows it requires me to format it and only recognizing it as "RAW".
what can I do about it? how to restore the data and prevent this from happening again?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If Windows only recognizes the drive as raw (unformatted) it's probably been corrupted. How about with Yosemite, is the drive readable? If both Yosemite and Windows can not read the data on the drive, you may be able to repair the drive using Windows tools. You'll need to search for which ones may work. As far as preventing the same thing happening to another drive, it's probably best to format the drive as NTFS and use a driver from Yosemite that can read and write to NTFS. (Paragon Software) FAT file systems should never be used as a common drive because the FAT file system is a non journaling file system and is prone to errors. OS X and NTFS are journaled file systems.

OP
I
Reaction score
If Windows only recognizes the drive as raw (unformatted) it's probably been corrupted. How about with Yosemite, is the drive readable? If both Yosemite and Windows can not read the data on the drive, you may be able to repair the drive using Windows tools. You'll need to search for which ones may work. As far as preventing the same thing happening to another drive, it's probably best to format the drive as NTFS and use a driver from Yosemite that can read and write to NTFS. (Paragon Software) FAT file systems should never be used as a common drive because the FAT file system is a non journaling file system and is prone to errors. OS X and NTFS are journaled file systems.

Yes, Yosemite can't recognize it, and which tools should help me?
Thank you for the preventing answer, I will do it :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.