MacBook display static lines

Reaction score
Hey everyone first time here.
My daughters 2011 13" MacBook Pro display died(ish). All we get is random lines across screen top to bottom. I replaced the battery and installed a used but certified to work Apple monitor (eBay) but still same problem.
External display works great. Computer functions normally.
I reset the Smc and the other option (I think it started with a P.)
I ran the AHT and nothing showed up.

Any ideas? I told my daughter to take to an Apple Store, get their $500 quote, then sell the thing on eBay for parts and buy a PC for $250 like the rest of us!!! All she uses it for is to look cool and watch movies.

(I'm kinda joking - for those sensitive souls)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Hello Walrusmt, Welcome to the Forum.

With regards to the display It sounds to me as if it could be a Graphics Card problem. My son had exactly the same on his Late 2009 20 inch iMac. When he took it to our local Apple Store they had a look at it. Then looked at the Machine itself, looking for scratches and marks and couldn't find any as it had been looked after. Then offered to replace the graphics card for free. You don't get any better than that.

My suggestion would be to take it to an Apple Store and let them check it out. HTH

OP
W
Reaction score
Hello Walrusmt, Welcome to the Forum.

With regards to the display It sounds to me as if it could be a Graphics Card problem. My son had exactly the same on his Late 2009 20 inch iMac. When he took it to our local Apple Store they had a look at it. Then looked at the Machine itself, looking for scratches and marks and couldn't find any as it had been looked after. Then offered to replace the graphics card for free. You don't get any better than that.

My suggestion would be to take it to an Apple Store and let them check it out. HTH

Thank you! The Macbook Pro does not have a graphics card. The GPU is fused to the logic board. I've read that swapping out the logic board may fix the problem temporarily but ultimately it's a design flaw with the board used in the late 2011 models.

I'll have her take it to the store and get their recommendation. If she wants I'll swap out the board - but that's another $180 in parts. Not sure what the store will recommend. I'll keep you updated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
External display works great. Computer functions normally.

If an external display works ok…and the MacBook works fine connected to the external display. Then to me it sounds like the MacBook's builtin display is bad…or the video cable is bad.

It sounded like you may have already replaced the MacBook display once with a display purchased via eBay. If this display was good…then it must be a cable issue. If the display from eBay is also bad…then maybe need a 3rd display (good display) to install.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. The new (to me) display came with cable (macbook pro display has the cables integrated.
Daughter told me the display would switch to full red screen from time to time and the computer needed to be restarted. Not sure if that helps or not

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you 100% sure that everything looks & works fine with an external display? Including a semi-extended test of maybe a couple hours.

Maybe this problem is intermittent…and takes time to propagate. If this is a logic board problem…usually the problem would be seen on both the MacBook Pro's builtin display and any external display attached to it.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
I will try to run the extended test. It's been difficult since going into the test requires keyboard/mouse activity.
If I turn the computer on and then shut the computer quick enough I can use external keyboard/mouse to propagate the test. I don't know how to have the external display work at the same time as the main monitor. I'll google it and see what I find.

Thanks,

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know how to have the external display work at the same time as the main monitor.

In post #1 you said…"External monitor works great".

How was testing done with an external monitor then?

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
I just tried and tried - on the seventh attempt I was able to trick the computer. I haven't been able to mirror the displays from boot since.

M

MacInWin

99% sure it's a graphic card failure. Take it to an Apple store, have them test it and see if it's under the extended recall. The failure seems intermittent, but Apple can test to failure for you. What they do is replace the logic board, which replaces the graphics card. Unfortunately you get the same graphics card, but at least it's a tested functional one.

OP
W
Reaction score
I agree it's likely the card.
Recall applied to 15 and 17 inch macbook pro's. Expired February 2016 for those models.
Called Apple Store and they said the 13 inch was not covered.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried and tried - on the seventh attempt I was able to trick the computer. I haven't been able to mirror the displays from boot since.

If you're having this much trouble with an external monitor as well…I have to agree also. Probably the logic board is bad.:(

Like you mentioned above. In the vast majority of cases…unless a replacement logic board can be purchased inexpensively via (eBay, powerbookmedic.com, Craig's List, etc.). Paying the Apple repair cost ($500) isn't worth it. Since a used 100% working 2011 13" MacBook Pro can be purchased for under $500.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
You're right Nick. That's what she paid for it on ebay 18 months ago.
The external monitor works great. Every aspect of the computer is good except the installed display. I replaced the display and have the same symptoms.

At this point I'll have her drive it to the mac store and see what they say. If it's the logic board (sounds like it is) I'll just part it out on ebay to get a bit of my money back.

Thanks everyone for the awesome help! Forums are the true jewel of the internet.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry…but you got me totally confused. In post #9 above you said:

And now you said:

The external monitor works great. Every aspect of the computer is good except the installed display.

What is happening with the external display?? Is the MacBook Pro working fine with the external display or not??

If the computer is working fine with an external display. Then this can cast some doubt that the logic board is bad.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Sorry, I understand - Here's what I meant.

To run the hardware test I have to hold the D button down after I push the power button.
However, I also have to close the macbook immediately after pushing the power button for it to display on the external monitor instead of the broken OEM display attached to the macbook
So I use an external keyboard and mouse.
I turn the power on, close the macbook, then hold down the D on the external keyboard while the computer boots up.
The timing issues on this seem similar to those seen during the Apollo mission.
I was able to get the perfect sequence right after 7 tries, but alas have not been able to repeat it.

Is there a way to set up the computer to display to both external and attached monitor? That way I could hold down the D button without having to put it into clam shell mode.

Thanks for the help.

M

MacInWin

I agree it's likely the card.
Recall applied to 15 and 17 inch macbook pro's. Expired February 2016 for those models.
Called Apple Store and they said the 13 inch was not covered.
It was extended to December, 2016. I know, I have one that is in the recall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.