DVD not recognizing some DVD's

Reaction score
Hello.
I post a question I have been seeking an answer to for moths now.
DVD's that I recently (3 months ago?) played will not respond and end up getting ejected. There DVDs WILL play.
This problem began sometime after installing El Capitan. While some DVSs will still play, others that I only recently played , upon on insertion, I can hear the optical drive trying to read but end up getting ejected. I do say that this APPEARS to have only happened since downloading El Capitan (& a short time afterwards when I did to try to play a movie). On the forum board I have seen others with the same problem. Some are resolved while other users still have the same problem. Of course I have tried EVERYthing, even to the extent of re-downloading El Capitan.Apple is unable to help.
I am at a loss. Perhaps my only solution is to buy a separate DVD player.
I know that there will (perhaps) be MANY solutions proffered and I have followed the all - to no result.
Has anyone encountered this and been able to resolve?
It makes no sense that SOME DVDs will play while others will not.A number of forum members have told me that they still cannot find a solution - including Apple itself - & we have been through many, many attempts.
Possibly a faulty drive (is this why new Macs don't have the drive?)
ANY possibility I will surely attempt, although at this point buying a separate player seems the only alternative.
What is so frustrating is that I do to know which ones will play. I am computer savvy but not a Tech.
Is there anyone out there who has experienced (& solved) this issue? Apple tells me that buying an independent unit is my best bet - however this galls me since the drive does indeed work at totally unpredictable times.

If anyone has any input I shall surely give it a go, yet at this point I throw my hands up in the air. Maybe the drive is in the process of merely failing.

Thank you most kindly for any input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Difficult to advise as you have not told us what Mc you have. Mac Pros (the big ones not the notebooks) have tray loaders and are very reliable. Notebooks and iMacs have slot loaders which are very likey to failure after four or five years. Either swallow your gall and buy a cheap external DVD player, or go on with the trial and error basis.

Apple discontinued optical in drives in Macs commencing in 2012 and you can understand why.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.