• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie or Final Cut Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.12.4. plus an older mac
Fellow Mac Forum Friends,

We shot some footage from central america on a consumer camera and have time coded everything in- camera.

We are almost ready to edit on a new Mac. My guess is we avoid iMovie. I have been burned by
Apple changing stuff so that it no longer works on new systems either without a new plug in or not at all. I have lost two projects this way.

Our goal is to edit a linear video, 30-or-more minutes, as well as offering selected discrete segments from the longer video. These will be available on-line on specific websites, You-Tube, and DVD.

We are thinking of the latest version of FINAL CUT for Mac.

We are not highly skilled technically but I have had some experience with LOGIC PRO for my musical
compositions.

Any suggestions for the best editing software for our needs?

Many thanks in advance,

jbglapaz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well if your two choices are iMovie or Final Cut Pro, no contest - Final Cut Pro. My guess is you will have a lot of clips, possibly titles, and a need to create a DVD with menus. While you could do it with iMovie, if you choose to get really into it and it looks like you will, Final Cut Pro will give you the ability.

You will have a learning curve and Final Cut Pro is not meant for a novice so plan on doing some YouTubing and googling for training.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fin...0j69i57j0l4.9984j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Lisa

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.12.4. plus an older mac
Final Cut

Gracias Lisa.

I needed this reassurance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.