• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Shortening clips on imovie?

Reaction score
Hello all,

Im trying to do a play thu video with commentary and the task is proving impossible .

Either the game audio is too loud or the commentary is too loud or they are too soft anyway i can't seem to get it right.
I imported the clips into imovie to edit them and adjust the volumes and try from there
There are 3 clips in total video.mp4,game audio.m4a,commentary.m4a (each 7m28s long) they play fine in vlc and play for 7m28s each.

However if i import the files in to imovie the audio and commentary files are shorter than the video file.

How come imovie is shorting my audio clips and video clips?
do i need to convert the .m4a to .mp3?

Its taken me just over a day to do a 7m28s play thru and ive still not managed to do it.
Ive done retake after retake.

Has anyone got any ideas??

Im using a mac mini 2010,imovie 10,elgato game capture hd. the video records fine

Thanks for your time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
It's probably to do with the import/conversion from your Elgato Game Capture.
All I can suggest is the you detach the audio from the video in Your Project, and then adjust the audio position to try and get it back in sync.

OP
Reaction score
all the clips are the same length but when i import them into imovie there different lengths??
I'm going to convert them to mp3 and try again.

When i do a game play video the software automatically creates separate files, 1 for the audio from the game and 1 from the commentary and 1 for the video with the audio and commentary.
I then import the video file into imovie and remove the audio then i'm trying to add the commentary and game audio so i can play with the audio levels.
but the clips are different lengths even tho they are the same lengths when played with VLC or QuickTime

Strange,i'm going to have another go now and let you no how i get on.
I'm even going to try using another editor (openshot on linux) to see if i get the same problem

Thanks for the help so far

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.