apple wins again... (windows loose)

Reaction score
My work college who uses a mac and windows pcs.

has old mac running 10.6.8 and cant upgrade past this.

he uses windows mainly.... however he left his machine uploading a file to youtube last nite as he went bed.

woke up to find windows 10 decided to upgrade itself and restart ending his upload and now has do it all over again.

windows 10 updates cannot be disabled :( windows just does it!

he now going to use his mac more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That upgrading feature is quite obnoxious indeed since the computer decides if you are doing something valuable or not.

OP
E
Reaction score
it decided 99.9% of time it is not important and does updates. in windows 7 you could delay it or turn off auto update.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes it's very annoying. One member of my family here got taken right out of a document he was writing and into update. Really got him upset! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's amazing to me that anyone thought such a system would be a good idea!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well toMACsh I guess MS were concerned folks just don't bother doing upgrades or updates. We do see it here also. Look at the trouble Snow Leopard users are starting to enjoy.

Reaction score
windows system some times really bring me some obnoxious experience, But on the whole, it is a good system, and I still need to learn about Mac system, thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Never seen that problem, I refurbish laptops and build and repair PC's for people. I have put WIn10 on about 30 Pc's and hid the update and stopped it from updating on a few when the customer didn't want it or it was older Hardware and I preferred to not do the upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Always goes this way elf.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
You can set Windows 10 to defer updates. Hit Windows key, type in Windows Update, then hit return. Clink on "Advanced options", then click on "Defer upgrades". Turn if off or on as needed. So, turn it off, then do the download, in the morning turn it back on. Oh, this doesn't stop security updates, however.

If you are on Wi-Fi then change your WiFi turn on "Metered connection" this will cause it to stop updating. Then when you are ok for it to update, then turn "metered connection" back off, unless of course you are on a metered connection.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Actually, it's rather easy to prevent Windows 10 upgrade from W7 and 8.x:

Never10

It's a standalone program, no installation required, based on Microsoft documented procedure. The program basically adds couple of registry setting to prevent the update. It does not do anything else, like disabling telemetry in these OSs. I've done the registry changes manually, sometimes last year, and they works just fine.

While the latest version of OSs tend to be more secure than previous version, it does not mean that the older versions are not secure at all. As long as the older version is supported and there are security patches available that is...

Windows vs. OSX discussion has been going on ever since. In my view, choosing the platform should be defined by the intended purpose of the system; whatever fits your need, go with it. I have both and use them everyday. Well, mostly working days...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
As I have indicated before, I work in a Windows environment. I am the resident IT (among other hats!) I currently have 17 Windows PC's, 2 Windows servers, and 4 Macs. I have Windows 10 on 4 PCs and 1 Mac using bootcamp.

One machine updated all on it's own and found out the wireless adapter was not compatible and no new drivers available. Three I have upgrades at various times as I am slowly rolling it out.

I had one try to update on it's own and it messed the system up so bad I had to reinstall Windows 7. Part of the reason was because this is a miniPC (Gigabyte BRIX) system that actually has to have the BIOS switched to be able to install Windows 10. Currently I have reinstalled Windows 7 and turned off automatic updates as all it does is run a sign-in station and print labels for us to ID kids with.

I don't like Windows 10. The list of reasons is too long to list. I love Windows 7 but I get that all good things will pass.... sigh...

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Automatic updates are the default setting on a new Mac as well but at least you can turn them off. It's one of the first things I change in System Prefs. The available updates still show on the App Store icon and I can choose when or if to update.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple automatic updates are different. They never interfere with your work and the update doesn't start unless you give it permission to do so. Windows automatic updates are different - they update whether you like it or not and will interrupt any ongoing work you're doing. Lots of complaints here and other forums about the automatic update to Windows 10 if you're running Windows 7 or 8, 8.1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Automatic updates are the default setting on a new Mac as well but at least you can turn them off. It's one of the first things I change in System Prefs.

Which setting would that be?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That would be this one;
2016-05-29 19:42:42.png

NOTE; Unticking this option and it's sub options does not prevent the number of available updates appearing on the App Store icon in my dock or next to the App Store menu item under the Apple Menu Bar icon, note the "Last Checked" date is today.
I have done the much the same on my iPhone usually choosing overnight for updates when it is connected to power and WiFi BUT that has not prevented iOS updates from downloading even though they do not install until I approve.

Last edited:
OP
E
Reaction score
As I have indicated before, I work in a Windows environment. I am the resident IT (among other hats!) I currently have 17 Windows PC's, 2 Windows servers, and 4 Macs. I have Windows 10 on 4 PCs and 1 Mac using bootcamp.

One machine updated all on it's own and found out the wireless adapter was not compatible and no new drivers available. Three I have upgrades at various times as I am slowly rolling it out.

I had one try to update on it's own and it messed the system up so bad I had to reinstall Windows 7. Part of the reason was because this is a miniPC (Gigabyte BRIX) system that actually has to have the BIOS switched to be able to install Windows 10. Currently I have reinstalled Windows 7 and turned off automatic updates as all it does is run a sign-in station and print labels for us to ID kids with.

I don't like Windows 10. The list of reasons is too long to list. I love Windows 7 but I get that all good things will pass.... sigh...

Lisa

we roll back many of our customers machine and if over the one month then we reinstall 7 from scratch.

7 is great but thinking of scraping my windows mild gaming tower for an imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would be this one;
That one, and "Install System data files and security updates" are the only ones I have checked.

I wish I could get rid of the Updates in the App Store for things I don't use. (like Numbers, Pages, Keynote, iMovie)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That one, and "Install System data files and security updates" are the only ones I have checked.

I wish I could get rid of the Updates in the App Store for things I don't use. (like Numbers, Pages, Keynote, iMovie)

If you do not use any of those apps, why not delete them? Then they will not update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.