MacBook Pro Not Charging

Reaction score
I spilled water on my 15" MacBook Pro in the top left hand corner and it left some corrosion. The rest of the computer works fine except for the power cord connection and the two display ports (which aren't needed). I've gone to an Apple store and a Mac Works store about fixing the computer and it would cost more than $1200 to fix. I want to know if there are any alternative ways to charge the computer using the working USB ports or HDMI port, or if there is any other possible solution to fix this myself. Thank you for your help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One thing you did not mention but would help. Exactly which model and year 15" MBP is it? There are many? Is it a new Retina or older model?

OP
R
Reaction score
One thing you did not mention but would help. Exactly which model and year 15" MBP is it? There are many? Is it a new Retina or older model?
I believe it's a 2014, the product name on the receipt is RFB MBP 15.4/2.2GHZ/16GB/256GB FLASH - USA. It's my work computer, so I didn't buy it myself.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I spilled water on my 15" MacBook Pro in the top left hand corner and it left some corrosion. The rest of the computer works fine except for the power cord connection and the two display ports (which aren't needed). I've gone to an Apple store and a Mac Works store about fixing the computer and it would cost more than $1200 to fix. I want to know if there are any alternative ways to charge the computer using the working USB ports or HDMI port, or if there is any other possible solution to fix this myself. Thank you for your help.

If Apple is quoting $1200 to repair the computer…it's almost 100% certain most of this is due to needed a new logic board. Since you mentioned that the spill was around the upper left corner (near where the power cable plugs in)…it's possible that the Mag-Safe board may have been effected. The mag-safe board is much less expensive to replace (about $33.75 + shipping for a used one).

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Pro-15-Retina-MagSafe-2-Board-Late-2013-p-47038.html

What's troubling is that you also mentioned that some of the other ports are not working. This does indicate something more serious (maybe that spill did much more damage). And this is where the whole logic board may need replacing if getting these ports working again was needed. For now you could try replacing the Mag-Safe board…and see if that helps with the charging issue.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you. The Apple store did write down Mag-Safe board and main logic board because those are the places they saw a little bit of corrosion. A USB port is right past the three non-working ports and it still works, so I'm hoping the actual damage really is localized. I'll try replacing the Mag-Safe board just to see if that will help as a last ditch effort. Is it easy enough to put in?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.