Connecting Nikon 1 J5 to MacBook Pro using wi-fi?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2009 5,3 OS10.11 + iMac2017 18,3 OS 10.13.6 + G4 Powerbook 2001 OS9.2 & 10.4.11
Guess who has gone off on holiday without his camera-to-computer USB cable to destination not exactly lined with accessory shops? No microSD card holder either.

The Nikon 1 J5 has wi-fi built in as standard and dead simple instructions for uploading to smartphone or tablet (loaded with appropriate app). So I thought that as iOS and El Capitan are so similar, should be easy to upload to MBP. However the nearest my web-search has come up with is this: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146122 , which looks like an alternative or additional way of spoiling a holiday.

Any (simple) idea lads? I am not too worried about abysmal speed for transfer of 20MB/image about 120 images so far, as it can play all night (or until battery runs out)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2009 5,3 OS10.11 + iMac2017 18,3 OS 10.13.6 + G4 Powerbook 2001 OS9.2 & 10.4.11
PS the camera has choice of connection types: SSID, Authentication/encryptation, Channel,Subnet mask, DHCP server with IP address
The last looks promising if I knew an IP address; gives 192.168. then needs 6 more figures
The camera appears in network preferences, but upload button on camera says "no images to upload". The camera SSID is given
Starting at the displayed image end suggest its impossible with RAW images, so probably forget it unless there is a way of accessing the card in the camera as a mini-hard drive from the computer.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried this in Network threads and had no response, so trying here

Guess who has gone off on holiday without his camera-to-computer USB cable to destination not exactly lined with accessory shops? No microSD card holder either.

The Nikon 1 J5 has wi-fi built in as standard and dead simple instructions for uploading to smartphone or tablet (loaded with appropriate app). So I thought that as iOS and El Capitan are so similar, should be easy to upload to MBP. However it appears that uploading from the camera is limited to jpg, whereas all my images are RAW. So what I need is to create a network that will bring the images envelope on the camera into view on the computer to handle contents a few at a time as ordinary files. I am not too worried about abysmal speed for transfer of 20MB/image, as it can play all night (or until battery runs out)

The nearest my web-search has come up with is this: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=146122 , which looks like an alternative or additional way of spoiling a holiday. I have checked the Network settings listed

The camera shows up in list of Wi-Fi networks. Alternatively, using Finder>Go to network brings up dialogue box including suggested/detected server smb://NIKON_J5_5100023 , but pressing 'Join' returns message 'Problem connecting to server'

Alternatively starting at the camera, there is option to connect using DHCP server IP address which starts 192.168. then required 6 more numbers. I don’t know what computer IP address is or how to find it

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post. If you think your thread is in the wrong forum ask a moderator to move it for you rather than posting it again. I combined your posts together here in this forum.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.