bootcamp or pararells

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how i can run a cloned windows pc drive from my dying PC on my Mac using pararells or bootcamp

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I understand what you mean by "cloned Windows drive"? Cloned to what, an external hard drive or your Mac? We also need particulars.... which Mac do you own, year and model? What version of OS X is it running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Wow - good luck with that. I have cloned PC drives but it was for replacing/upgrading the drive in a PC and the new drive went back into the original PC system. One of the big issues will be that even if you could get say Parallels to boot the drive, Windows would "see" the different hardware, would not have the correct drivers for the Mac hardware, and also would recognize that it was not the system it had been installed on which would trigger it to see this as an illegal install. I seriously doubt it would boot. Instead the dreaded blue screen of death would be the result. Windows installation do not like to be moved to a new anything.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think you will have to decide which system you prefer, then partition your Mac hard drive accordingly and do a clean install from a Windows CD. Not going to work what you describe without a lot, and I mean a lot if even possible, hassles. M<ac drives have to be partitioned Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) prior to establishing the partition and then changing the format to NTFS.

Reaction score
This will be incredibly difficult. The original windows installation automatically configured itself with drivers and settings to suit your PC. If you come over to Parallels, chances are you will never get the settings 100% right to have everything working as before.

As for Boot Camp, I can guarantee the installation won't run.

If you're looking to recover data, extract that separately and make a fresh install of Windows.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do you actually want Windows or just the data from that machine? If the latter, then assuming the HDD is formatted in NTFS, you'll want to get Paragon NTFS and then connect the HDD to your Mac using a SATA->USB adapter and get access to all of your files/data.

If your intention is to run Windows, then depending on your performance needs, you can install Windows through Parallels/VMWare Fusion/Virtualbox (faster to get going, sacrificing some performance to not dual-boot) or Boot Camp (Native Windows experience and performance, but need to dual-boot between Windows and OS X) and then plug your HDD into the machine to get your data again.

You will likely have to re-install any applications you used previously through their installers.

As the others have stated, you are not going to be able to just re-use the HDD in its current shape.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.