Can a thief recover data from iPhone after remote erase?

Reaction score
In February 2014, my iPhone 5s was stolen, and I remotely erased the data on it using Find My iPhone. After I wiped it, is there any way that the thief could have recovered data from the phone? Should I be confident that the data on the phone was never accessed? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No digital storage device is impregnable......

However, iOS 7 (which the 5s launched with) and above came with out of the box support to encrypt all data at rest.

Unless exceptionally motivated to do so it's unlikely that a thief would take the time or effort to access your data. Although, as above, with the right motivation, time and resources no digital store is 100% secure.

Unless there are other motivations at play I'd suggest it's exceptionally unlikely that the thief could access the device, recover and decrypt your data

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

As proven by the recent legal case of United States vs. Apple!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It was stolen in Feb of 2014, and you're NOW asking about it? A bit late if a determined hacker wanted your data bad enough. ;)

OP
F
Reaction score

However, iOS 7 (which the 5s launched with) and above came with out of the box support to encrypt all data at rest.

Unless exceptionally motivated to do so it's unlikely that a thief would take the time or effort to access your data. Although, as above, with the right motivation, time and resources no digital store is 100% secure.

Unless there are other motivations at play I'd suggest it's exceptionally unlikely that the thief could access the device, recover and decrypt your data

Thanks! What does it mean to say that iOS 7 "came with out of the box support to encrypt all data at rest"? Do you mean that all data would have been automatically encrypted? (Or is this a feature I would have had to enable somehow?)

The reason I initially started the thread was that I heard somewhere that there is software one could buy that would make the task of recovering data from a wiped iPhone fairly trivial. Is that right, or no?

Sorry about these questions; I really don't know much about computers.

Reaction score
If your device was running iOS 7 or later, and you had set a passcode, your data would have been encrypted. So to tecover data from a wiped iPhone, the attacker would have to obtain the device, reconstruct the data from the hardware and additionally decrypt it by hacking your passcode or using a NAND flashing method (by creating a copy of your phone, testing passcodes and re-making a copy for every failed attempt).

It's not impossible, but highly improbable. You can however take many steps to make this much much harde for future thieves, for example by setting a more complex passcode.

Reaction score
In February 2014, my iPhone 5s was stolen, and I remotely erased the data on it using Find My iPhone. After I wiped it, is there any way that the thief could have recovered data from the phone? Should I be confident that the data on the phone was never accessed? Thanks!

I am late, if you deleted data from your iPhone , these deleted data can be recovered is no doubt ,but the key is how do you erase iPhone ,
TBH , i have never tried remote erase , did you make it ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.