how can I record a song on mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well with the limited information you have provided, I would suggest Audacity. It is free.

Now if you would provide more information like what version of OS X you are running, what your mac is and model/year. Also exactly what you need to record - voice, instruments, any other pertinent stuff - that would help you get more specific information.

Lisa

OP
B
Reaction score
HI

I have a Mac mini/cube/ Got it new about 1 yr. go but couldn't figure it out and went to PC till that broke so back here.
Mr XOS is 10.10.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a recording just yesterday. It was an old accompaniment track on a cassette. I had to capture the cassette tape recording of the song for one of our singers. We then recorded him singing as the song track played. We combined the two recordings and tweaked the recording to get the final output and exported the song. The capture was done on a mac pro using Adobe Audition and tweaked on an iMac using Avid Pro Tools. We do have the ability where I work (I work for my church) to produce professional audio so that does help.

You can do the same with Audacity. There are tons of "How To's" on the Audacity site. I have recommended this program to several others and they have found it to be great for doing just what you are doing. At this point I have no idea what to suggest as I do not know what equipment you have. One thing I do know, the better the recording equipment and room acoustics the better of the recording.

Lisa

OP
B
Reaction score
did any one besides me see onyX?

I finally got it running. Now what?

I still need to make my song and post it. Does it matter that my microphone doesn't plug into my computer/ there are only two small holes. any ideas? mac mini OS X 10.

Barb

M

MacInWin

One hole is for microphone, the other is for earphones/earbuds. You can either get an adapter to fit your microphone and the sockets on the Mac, or us a USB Microphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
As for Onyx, launch it, navigate to the Automate tab and press execute.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged (same topic)…and thread moved to better location.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Lisa I couldn't find a microphone. It doesn't fit into my mac, too big.
Do I just sit in front f my Mav and sing?
I have yosemite, and my Mac is 2014. That's all for me.
barb Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Barb - You have to have a microphone with a cable that has a 3.5mm connector or even a USB connection to physically attached to the Mic connection on your mac. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AIQGUO/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Or they have other options: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...r+recording+to+a+computer?tag=macforums0e4-20

On the second link there are even adapters that might be what you need if you have a microphone already.

But without a microphone your computer will not "hear" you. Also the quality of the mic will determine the quality of your recording sound.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.