Issues with mouse & videogame

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have had a MacBook Pro 13" (Yosemite, medio 2012, 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 mb, 8 gb 1600MHz DDR3) for the past couple of years and played video games (Lately Diablo 3) on it every now and then, it worked just fine. My harddrive died last week and I had it replaced with a 400gb SSD. After installing everything again I imagined playing videogames would've become smoother (if not, the same). On the contrary, it was unplayable due to the amount of FPS drops (think 2-3 second freezes every 15s and also 0,5s freezes every 3 seconds). As it turns out, if I remove my mouse (and play with the pointer) it actually gets quite alot better (but still stutters more than before / unplayable). Different mouses (from the most simple one I could find, to an expensive logitec or Razer mouse) all change the amount of freezing, but it's still unplayable. I have tried wired and wireless mouses, no notable difference. One last interesting point is that the freezes are alot worse on El Capitan, hence why I'm on Yosemite again.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? Help :s

edit: I'm playing Diablo 3 on lowest settings you can imagine - lowering resolution has no effect either. Before the SSD I could run it on higher than Low settings, but not on High.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

What mouse are you using ~something exotic? Is anything else causing freezes since the drive replacement? Did you consider changing the SATA cable when you replaced the drive? A lot of heat and time makes cables very brittle and likely to get small fractures.

OP
E
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

What mouse are you using ~something exotic? Is anything else causing freezes since the drive replacement? Did you consider changing the SATA cable when you replaced the drive? A lot of heat and time makes cables very brittle and likely to get small fractures.

Hello, thanks for the quick reply.

I'm using (the same as before the freezing occured) Logitech G700 / Logitech G5 (I know, no drivers for Mac but it worked without too). I didn't do the replacing myself, that was done by some Apple redistributor. The more I think about it, the more it points towards the SSD. Is there a way to check for a faulty SSD/SATA cable? The original HDD was 8 years old, unless they changed the cable (highly doubt it, seeing as I didn't pay for it), the cable's 8 years old too.

What I also noticed is that it mainly occurs when I just start the game. The first movement / first time exploring an area it's really intens on the freezing and when I go to parts that have already been explored (read: loaded by the computer) it's "less" but still there.

OP
E
Reaction score
Hello.

I wanted to make a quick reply now that I've fixed it, what I did:
- removed alot of dust from the air inlet (inside)
- replaced HDD cable
- replaced CPU cooler paste
- removed some dust in general on the mb

Solved the issue completely. No idea why - but it worked.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Cleaning the air inlets and removing dust from the MacBook was in a bad idea since you were in there anyway. I suspect that it was replacing the HDD cable that had the most effect.

M

MacInWin

Cleaning the air inlets and removing dust from the MacBook was in a bad idea since you were in there anyway. I suspect that it was replacing the HDD cable that had the most effect.
I think you meant "wasn't a bad idea." Spellcheck got you again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
'wasn't' - dictation is my pick!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you meant "wasn't a bad idea." Spellcheck got you again?
Yep. I looked at that post several times and didn't notice that mistake. I'm going to go sit in the corner with my dunce cap now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think the "Dragon" in your dictate program doesn't like you. Wait till Siri comes to OS X. LOL. ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.