Previously owned MacBook pro retina security

Reaction score
UPDATE: Issue resolved, please delete, and thank you for all your help!

Last edited:
Reaction score
OP
M
Reaction score
The icloud is signed out. It's been formatted but from research I saw someone say the only way to stop that from happening is reset the pram? I just want to know if after all of that it's safe

Reaction score
No the PRAM would not make much of a difference. This is closely tied to Apple's cloud security architecture. If you have now linked the device to your own iCloud account, you are safe.

OP
M
Reaction score
So 100 percent if I sign in to my I cloud the previous owner cannot wipe or lock my machine through find my mac?

Reaction score
You say it has been reformatted, therefore I assume you have a clean install of OS X. Then it's 100% safe.

If you want to be extra safe, I researched a bit and yes the PRAM may have some traces left as Apple uses it to lock the device remotely. But, if you set up FMM with your own iCloud account, you are 100% safe and don't need to reset PRAM: https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...ock-erase-my-second-hand-mac-with-find-my-mac

So the be 110% safe:
- Reformat the drive
- Reset PRAM
- Setup FMM with your own Apple ID
- Make the previous owner go to iCloud.com and verify removal of the Mac from his FMM

For future reference, there's also this:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Congratulations, yogi, on breaking through the 2000 posts.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest you get an Apple ID and download El Capitan and burn it to a USB thumb drive using DiskMakerX. The boot from the thumb drive, erase the hard drive if you are ultra cautious use the seven pass method but leave it overnight, install OS X.11 El Capitan and set it up with your user name, passwords, network settings etc. and update to OS X.11.4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.