Adware and Malware on my macbook pro 15"

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently discovered Adware and possibly Malware on my macbook. I started having windows pop up without using a browser asking me to purchase things(i don't remember what) and it would happen frequently. I would exit out of the window and it would just pop back up in my upper right side of the screen minutes later. I am positive it wasn't from an app because I don't download apps. Also, when this was occurring, my macbook would occasionally shut down giving me a black screen in the middle of working saying that "something went wrong". I have reset the computer's hard drive via disk utilities and installed a new copy of OS X. I am now running El Capitan. Since I have reset the computer, I have not seen a single ad and haven't had any issues with my computer shutting down(it has been several weeks).

My question is, after resetting the hard drive via disk utilities and installing a new copy of El Capitan, what are the chances that a virus or some type of malware would still exist on my computer and what else can I do to ensure that it is gone?

Thank you!
Macbook pro 15" (late 2013) i7

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No viruses exist for your Mac but there is malware. Download the free "Malwarebytes Anti Malware" app for the Mac from here and use it to scan your Mac.

OP
P
Reaction score
Okay a little bit of an update..

Installed malwarebytes to no success, it didn't find anything

Someone has hijacked my mac and I can't seem to get them off. It may be due to a logmein webpage that I went to and gave someone access without knowing the consequences. While sitting in the mac store someone was remotely locking my keychain, shooting black bars across the screen, rearranging my files.. At this point I don't know what to do, I have tried resetting the hard drive several times and partitioning. Apple ran a diagnostic of the components and everything checks out.

What can I do to reset everything back to the original settings with all the original login files?

HELP!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It may be due to a logmein webpage that I went to and gave someone access without knowing the consequences.

Never give anyone access to your Mac unless it's Apple during an Apple Care on line support session. Do you have a good backup of all your data? If you do not, make a backup, erase the hard drive, and do a clean reinstall of OS X. And then selectively restore your data. Make sure you assign a log on password to your Mac. How to do a clean install of El Capitan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm a bit confused with your statement: Apple ran a diagnostic of the components and everything checks out.

It's sure not all OK if your Mac isn't running properly.

If you suspect that logmein or some such is causing the problem, just get rid of it. No sense creating extra work but you sure might want to change your password settings just in case as well.

Have a look here:
http://help.logmein.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/How-do-I-uninstall-LogMeIn-for-Mac-manually

And you can also make yourself a new admin user if it helps to clear things up.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.