Airdrop problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini-2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Memory; Macbook Pro-2012
Hello group, I have a Mac Mini and MBP that are both on the same network. When trying to use Airdrop, my MBP finds the Mac mini but the Mac mini does not recognize the MBP. I have rebooted both machines but still have the same problem. I am trying to airdrop a file from the Mac mini to the MBP. The Mac mini will recognize my iPad and i have been successful in using the airdrop feature in the past. Any ideas where the problem may be? As always thank you in advance for the help. Cheers and beers to all:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Shot in the dark - are you using the most recent OS on both machines?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
As Sue asked, here is what you need to check to make sure you have not only compatible versions of OS X (or iOS) but that your devices are also new enough, here is a quote from a MacRumors article:

"You will need iOS 7 or later and OS X Yosemite in order to use AirDrop to transfer files between a Mac and an iOS device. Using AirDrop to move files between iOS and Mac is supported by all Mac models released in 2012 and later running OS X Yosemite. You can confirm that your Mac is compatible with AirDrop by clicking the Finder icon in the Dock and clicking the "Go" icon in the Menu Bar. If AirDrop is not listed as an option, then your Mac is not compatible with the feature."

If you meet all the qualificatons, here are some troubleshooting tips you can try: http://www.imore.com/how-to-fix-airdrop-iphone-ipad

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As Sue had a shot in the dark, this is mine:)

On the WiFi side of things, does your router (or Airport Extreme etc if you have one), allow for dual channel 2.4 and 5gHz. I ask because I found that if my Mac was on 2.4GHz, for example, and my iOS device in another room had selected 5GHz, AirDrop wouldn't work. So my experience, such as it is, requires both devices to be on the same bandwidth.

Just a thought.

Ian

OP
bcloonan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks to all for your responses. After posting I fiddled around some more and discovered that if I right clicked the file on the Mac mini that I needed to airdrop to the MBP, I was then given an option to airdrop the file. Voila the mini recognized the MBP and dropping the file on the icon brought me the desired results. I am using OS X Yosemite on both machines so I wasn't confused with a compatibility issue. I don't believe my router allows for dual channel capability...something I need to check out. I have successfully used airdrop between my iPad and MBP. All seems well here in my village for now. Again thank you to the group. Cheers n beers to all!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All seems well here in my village for now. Again thank you to the group. Cheers n beers to all!

A bit of off topic..... It's been years since I visited Sasebo, Japan. My guess is that you're a retired Navy person living there? (I was stationed in Northern Kyushu at the time at the old Itazuke AB)

OP
bcloonan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I am retired US Navy. I've been here in Sasebo since 1985. I'm quite certain you would hardly recognize the Fukuoka area. Sasebo has changed quite a lot over the years as well.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.