Unwelcome website hijack

Reaction score
Hi all, I am experiencing frequent problems with advertising websites hijacking the legitimate website I am working on. Sometimes I can overcome it by pressing the back button. Other times I have to quit safari and restart it using the shift+command option. More recently I have had indecent warnings come on screen and the only way to get rid of them is to press okay, then it gets even worse.
This happens on my Mac which is operation on wifi. It also happens on my iPad mini when using the wifi. Is it possible that the wifi modem has been compromised somehow and if so how do I fix it.
It's almost to the point of not wanting to use safari.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nothing wrong with your modem or router. The sites you've been visiting have probably "gifted" you with malware. Download the free Malwarebytes from here and run it to identify and remove any malware you may have picked up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yeah, Malwarebytes should take care of that. But I believe the entire internet is being hi-jacked by commercial interests trying to sell stuff. Any time I do a search looking for information, the "top hits" are all trying to sell the "item" searched for, even if it's not something that can be bought and sold. It's becoming very irritating!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yeah, Malwarebytes should take care of that. But I believe the entire internet is being hi-jacked by commercial interests trying to sell stuff. Any time I do a search looking for information, the "top hits" are all trying to sell the "item" searched for, even if it's not something that can be bought and sold. It's becoming very irritating!

That's actually a paid advertisement. Yep, the search engines are paid, not only for the side links, but also to arrange the order of search returns.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
That's actually a paid advertisement. Yep, the search engines are paid, not only for the side links, but also to arrange the order of search returns.

Yes, I know. That's what I call hi-jacked.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have downloaded malwarebytes and run it without finding anything. I am yet to follow the rest of the instructions when the first search doesn't work.

Reaction score
Download Adblock Plus and Ghostery and you will be happy with your internet experience....I did Onyx, Malware bytes, Ghostery and Adblock Plus and now I am enjoying my internet experience, no more popping ads, no more captured/grabbed sites by ads, no more moving around of the page I am reading and the page loads faster now.......I am not computer savvy but I read many important issues the gurus are sharing with us here......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.