PDA

View Full Version : New iMac

caveatipss
04-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Anyone know when the next faster/newest iMac will come out, meaning the one faster than 2gHz?h

Ghostshadow
04-13-2006, 04:37 PM
probably not for a long time...

BlindingLights
04-13-2006, 04:44 PM
yeah if you get the Intel iMac you'll be good for quite some time, but then again you never know...

dan828
04-13-2006, 07:43 PM
All that it would take is for me to buy one. Then Apple would come out with a new model within a few days. ;) But since I have no plans to buy one now, you should be OK.

macEfan
04-13-2006, 08:25 PM
yeah, again, not for a while... it is already intel, so apple will be focusing its upcoming updates on the computers that are still PowerPC. (ibook, emac, powermac, etc)

BlindingLights
04-13-2006, 11:53 PM
All that it would take is for me to buy one. Then Apple would come out with a new model within a few days. ;) But since I have no plans to buy one now, you should be OK.

Haha, that usually happens to me too... that or there's a price drop! Lol... But I was safe with my iMac, as I got it just as they started Intel chips

caveatipss
04-14-2006, 03:17 PM
So months? Years?

iRepublican
04-15-2006, 06:35 AM
So months? Years?

Probably several months.Intel is releasing a new processor later this year,and I would exspect it to go in the Imac by early 2007.......this is just a guess though.

dimagex20
04-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Well the next iMac will probably be totally different. It would be a a complete over haul. just like the diference between the iMac G4 to the iMac G5. Different look, different everything.

playm0de
04-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Well the next iMac will probably be totally different. It would be a a complete over haul. just like the diference between the iMac G4 to the iMac G5. Different look, different everything.

You cant change perfection.

yogi
04-15-2006, 04:13 PM
I heard from reliable sources that Apple will release a new iMac in black next tuesday. It will have an Intel Core Quad 3.2 GHz and extendable RAM slots for up to 8GB.
They will have a 22" version of it.
Along with that they will release this (http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:2fullipodav.jpg) new iPod and will be giving away 10'000 iPod HiFis to the first 10'000 songs sold on iTMS that tuesday. Among the 10'000 people they will have a lottery for a free trip to Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA.

And Steve Jobs is going to resign.

maz94protege
04-15-2006, 04:21 PM
lol

thats funny!

caveatipss
04-21-2006, 05:24 PM
So, now I am torn. I *HATE* not having the fastest and latest when I buy computer equipment. Should I buy the current 20" iMac now, or wait until 2007 for a new one?

coach_z
04-21-2006, 05:44 PM
from previous posts of yours i think youshould wait a little while as long as your current computer is working fine for what you need it for. wait until 2007 when all of the computers are supposed to be switched over to intel chips and see what they offer then. if your computer is dying now and you are in dire need for a new one go ahead and pick up the top of the line imac, or a powermac because it offers upgradablilty in the forms of video cards, lots of ram, addition of more firewire/usb and other stuff like that.

the desire and need to have the best and latest and fastest processors and computers out there is always something to desire but you must realize that the development and implementation of technology does not stop and no matter what you do there will be something released within weeks or months which is going to top what you just purchased. unless you are a millionaire and can alwways purchase a computer when new ones come out, your computer will always be outdated

so i say buy what you want now (or later) and then be happy with it.

-chris

christm
04-24-2006, 11:32 AM
I heard from reliable sources that Apple will release a new iMac in black next tuesday. It will have an Intel Core Quad 3.2 GHz and extendable RAM slots for up to 8GB.
They will have a 22" version of it.
Along with that they will release this (http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:2fullipodav.jpg) new iPod and will be giving away 10'000 iPod HiFis to the first 10'000 songs sold on iTMS that tuesday. Among the 10'000 people they will have a lottery for a free trip to Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA.

And Steve Jobs is going to resign.

we wish - apart from the resign of jobs

dan828
04-24-2006, 11:35 AM
So, now I am torn. I *HATE* not having the fastest and latest when I buy computer equipment. Should I buy the current 20" iMac now, or wait until 2007 for a new one?
No...no...wait until 2012, they're going to come out with much faster iMacs then! ;)

mac57
04-29-2006, 06:09 PM
I have the same problem. I have read about the new Intel vPro chip (the next generation of PIV/VIIV) and Intel is saying things like "twice as fast as the fastest Pentium. So, one hatest to buy a 2GHz iMac when soon there should be something closer to a 6 GHz chip available (or with equivalent functionality). An iMac built around such a chip would be a dream machine. With Parallels, you could run Mac OS, Linux and Windows Vista all on the same box.

Conclusion: wait if you can - Apple is *bound* to come out with a faster one sooner rather than later.

baggss
04-30-2006, 01:06 PM
The problem with your conclusion is that it is always true. If you wait long enough, something better will always be available. The other thing to consider is, how much speed do you really need for what you are going to do with the computer?

mac57
04-30-2006, 06:19 PM
I couldn't agree more. However, I am a current PC owner, itching to buy a Mac instead, and since I already have a 3 GHz PIV with HT, I am loathe to buy anything slower. Most of my Windows time is spent in Photoshop CS, and that is a very CPU hungry program. Even with a 3 GHz PIV, I find myself wanting more speed now and then. I will wait until something faster comes along, but my next computer is going to be a Mac. Since I can run Photoshop and iTunes on MacOS, and everything else I do on Linux, I can kiss Microsoft good bye... and that can't happen quickly enough! :-)

baggss
04-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Well, the CorDuo is a better chip than the P4 and running OSX with Photoshop CS will likely be a better experience than you have had so far. Don't get trapped by the Mhz myth, a lower speed CorDuo can be faster than the your 3Ghz P4. Of course, you could always buy a G5 and really slam on Photoshop.

Kyomii
04-30-2006, 09:21 PM
I couldn't agree more. However, I am a current PC owner, itching to buy a Mac instead, and since I already have a 3 GHz PIV with HT, I am loathe to buy anything slower. Most of my Windows time is spent in Photoshop CS, and that is a very CPU hungry program. Even with a 3 GHz PIV, I find myself wanting more speed now and then. I will wait until something faster comes along, but my next computer is going to be a Mac. Since I can run Photoshop and iTunes on MacOS, and everything else I do on Linux, I can kiss Microsoft good bye... and that can't happen quickly enough! :-)

I have a 3.2 P4 with 1 GB ram. I also have the Mac mini core duo with 1 GB ram, and I can confirm the Mac is faster. Some of the speed can be contributed OSX as the XP OS which is clumsy, but you only realise how clumsy it is when you have used a Mac.

When booting up for instance, on my iMac G5 1.6 rev A, I can be surfing the internet within 12 seconds of pressing the button from a cold boot (not sleep mode).

My P4 takes at least 30 seconds to fully load drivers, antiv virus etc before it is usable - and yes, I keep my system caches clean, updated and regularily scandisced/defragged.

BoingoBongo
04-30-2006, 10:59 PM
A good computer today will still be just as good tomorrrow.

I doubt the iMacs will be upgraded until the rest of the line is moved over to Intel. I just don't think it would make sense to upgrade Intel iMacs twice before other computers have even switched yet. Then again, sometimes Apple is crazy, so you never know.

I do know that I have the 20" Intel iMac and it's the best computer I've ever used. If you get one, you wont regret it.

lonerider
05-01-2006, 04:00 AM
There is a replacement for the core duo coming down the pipe. I would expect it Q4 2006 or Q1 2007. It's codename is 'Merom' (core duo is 'Yonah'). I suspect this will be the mobile version of the "Conroe" desktop processors (Conroe desktop processor should be making their appearance this week).

This is an old roadmap for Intel CPUs :

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/news/2005-05/multi_core_intc_rdmp.png

Conroe will supposedly regain the performance crown for Intel. Hopefully apple will jump in there and put some in their boxes. Here's a comparison of a dual core Conroe CPU vs an Athlon 64 x2 overclocked to 2.8ghz (top speed athlon 64s are 2.6ghz right now) :

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/intel%20conroe%20idf%20preview_03070620313/11090.png

If that graph is any indication, Intel's upcoming CPUs are going to be on an entirely different performance level than their current chips.

yogi
05-04-2006, 10:50 AM
jeez, why are you plastering the forums with your yearning for a new imac?

To help you decide:
Do you NEED a computer?
Do you need it NOW?
WHAT do you need it for?
based on that, get the OPTIMUM, rather than the MAXIMUM. I don't buy an XXXL shirt instead of my regular L just because it's bigger.
Get what you need, and not more.
.33 GHz won't be the deciding factor between you and your next Homemade Disney Pixar film. Duh.

caveatipss
05-04-2006, 11:28 AM
jeez, why are you plastering the forums with your yearning for a new imac?

To help you decide:
Do you NEED a computer?
Do you need it NOW?
WHAT do you need it for?
based on that, get the OPTIMUM, rather than the MAXIMUM. I don't buy an XXXL shirt instead of my regular L just because it's bigger.
Get what you need, and not more.
.33 GHz won't be the deciding factor between you and your next Homemade Disney Pixar film. Duh.

hahaha well when you put it that way, it makes sense. Maybe onloy other PC users can understand the fever, the burning desire, to have the absolute fastest. I guess I need to switch to a Mac mindset. Honestly, .33 gHz would not be bad. But, if I buy an iMac now, and they DO come out in the Summer with a Conroe dual, I will be seriously angry, because that is in another class entirely.

rman
05-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Everyone has for has forgotten that Apple has made a paradigm shift, when they move to the Intel chip set. We may not see the hardware changing as much as it did in the past. I don't think any of the current intel hardware will be upgraded until the remaining hardware is running on intel.

baggss
05-04-2006, 01:14 PM
As I said elsewhere, we may see chip upgrades/downgrades become available on the website as newer chips become available. IIRC this is already an option with the 2.16 processor on either the MBP or the iMac.

lonerider
05-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Mhz really doesn't matter when talking about core duo (presler based) vs the upcoming Merom/Conroe lineup. The graphs previously posted speak for themselves - I'd guess a 1.5 Ghz Merom/Conroe based chip would handily beat a 2Ghz Presler based chip in most tasks.

Speak of the devil :

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2170

" Intel's first generation desktop Core processor, Conroe, will carry the moniker Core 2 Duo, suplementing the 65nm Netburst Presler micro-architecture. Notebook processors, earlier dubbed Merom, will also carry the Core 2 Duo moniker even though the processors are very different than the desktop Core 2 Duo chips...
Intel's most recent forward outlook confirms Conroe will ship in July, 2006 followed shortly by Merom in August 2006. "

If I remember correctly, these chips are socket compatible with Core Duo (1). Timing is of course an unknown, but I think it's pretty clear that these new Intel chips are the future for the iMac and PowerMac.

As an aside, some of these conroe based CPUs have already been sold on E-Bay, so Intel must be on track.

My guess is we don't see these in iMacs until the end of the year / beginning of 2007.