Audio Recording to MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro Retina 13. 8GB memory, El Capitan; iPhone 6s.
Happy Friday to all, new question here from a recent switcher. I used to use a program called Total Recorder Pro to record audio to my old laptops ( Bill based ones).
I use a Behringer UControl UCA222 to get audio from my stereo/satellite radio etc out to a usb 2.0 connector.
I am not sure if I can just plug that into my Mac and record to some app, iTunes? . Is there a version of TR that I don't know about? I looked at their website and they seem to be windows only. Any info you have will be a great help, I like to record live shows from sat radio and interviews etc. Also good to record Mick Martins Blues Party and make mixes for later listening.
Thanks everyone.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Your Mac may already have GarageBand installed that will do some of the recording tasks that you are currently doing. For things like scheduled recordings of web streams I use Audio Hijack Pro from Rogue Amoeba but you may like some of their other programs as well. See here. For general recording I have used Audacity (free) but prefer the interface for Amadeus.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using GarageBand , records good but I cannot seem to find a way to monitor on headphones before recording, seems monitor only turns on when the red button is a go. Any advice?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try tip number 7 here. You may also need to do the following:
1. From within GarageBand open it's preferences.
2. Go to the Audio/Midi settings (second tab).
3. Set the output setting to something that suits your setup.

I am by no means a GarageBand genius so if this doesn't work we may have to wait for others to chime in.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone know if it is possible to record something from a usb, i.e. external source, without having to choose a "voice" from garageband? Cleanest I could find was classical voice but how about no voice, just straight in? Thanks all.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What are you trying to pull in? I'm not as familiar with this version as I was with others but I tried setting the voice to narration and that seems to be OK. I'll do some poking around to see if I can find something useful.

I mean to ask what type of sound (instrument, vocal narration etc)?

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not trying to record instruments directly, my band uses other recording gear for that. All I am recording is the occasional interview, i.e. Neil Young and Graham Nash etc from the Howard Stern show, and occasional live concerts on other satellite radio channels and Mick Martins NPR saturday afternoon blues show. So I have no interest in a "voice" shape from garageband I want just a clean signal in to the hard drive that I can then put on a flash drive and hear elsewhere.
Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are several good tutorial videos for GarageBand 10 on the net that do a far better job explaining it than I could. You might also find this book helpful.

Getting GarageBand to record from your usb device is pretty easy. Make sure that the device is connected then do the following:

1. Launch GarageBand and open its preferences.
2. Click the audio/midi tab.
3. You should be able to select your USB device from the input list. You could also set the input device to system setting. Then open the Sound preference pane and choose your audio interface.

Normally I am a big fan of using the included Apple software for recording streams / things broast on a schedule take a look at either Piezo or Audio Hijack from Rogue Amoeba. Both programs have fully functioning demos.

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for all that info, I will give it a try

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you are already proficcient with audio recording software I personally think Audacity (previously mentioned) despite it's rather old fashioned interface offers more options and settings than any other app you could get for free and some paid for ones as well.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks I will check out Audacity too. btw there was a great 40 minute Graham Nash acoustic performance on Howard Stern this weekend that I had problems recording because of my inability to operate Garageband. Will try again. Thanks for the input.
Steve.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@firensteel I made a correction to the instructions in step one of my directions (Post 8). Obviously that change should be made in GarageBand not Safari as the directions originally stated.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I got the correction.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.