• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.VOB files merge into one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
You can do this with command-line tools - no need to add additional software.

Open the terminal and change into the directory where the .VOB files are located. Use the "cat" command to stream out the contents of each file, one after another, and redirect them into a new file.

Example: cat file_1.vob file_2.vob file_3.vob >./full_file.vob

If file_1.vob, file_2.vob, and file_3.vob each represent segments of a full movie, they will be concatenated into the new, full file called full_file.vob

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It's not built in but Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip should be able to do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not built in but Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip should be able to do this.

There are all kinds of after-market / third party products that will do what the OP asked in terms of function. However, the request was for what's already on his machine...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are all kinds of after-market / third party products that will do what the OP asked in terms of function. However, the request was for what's already on his machine...
I'm aware of that but, other than Terminal commands you suggested, there isn't a built-in alternative AFAIK. Not all of our members are comfortable / fluent with Terminal. Both of the programs I suggested are free.

Thanks for the Terminal commands BTW I wasn't aware of those.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm aware of that but, other than Terminal commands you suggested, there isn't a built-in alternative AFAIK. Not all of our members are comfortable / fluent with Terminal. Both of the programs I suggested are free.

Thanks for the Terminal commands BTW I wasn't aware of those.

I'm not aware of anything else that would do it either (that's already installed). I shied away from discussing anything that was an add-on because there are a lot of pay-for products out there that do little more than create a "pretty window" (GUI) that runs command line commands behind the scenes. I grew up with Linux, so the CLI is very comfortable to me. I'm also amazingly cheap, so learning how to do these sorts of things without spending money was always something I would welcome. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a big fan of trying included tools first but for me that only goes so far. As some of our long-term members will tell you that using the CLI gives me the hives.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a big fan of trying included tools first but for me that only goes so far. As some of our long-term members will tell you that using the CLI gives me the hives.;D

lol.... I do a lot in the terminal. I've been using Linux since 1994 - LONG before having a functional GUI was a given. Spent a lot of years in networking where all of the gear is configured via CLI, do a lot of scripting, and now work with other network gear that is easier to understand from the CLI than it is in the GUI. Plus, I run two Linux servers in my home with no GUI on them. Come on along... It's all perfectly safe, albeit dimly lit (it's a dark place).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.