• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Latest commission.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
after an Anglo/French forum member had had a look at my web site he asked if I could do a commission for him. It was to make a stand for his gold pocket watch. It's something that I have promised to do for myself for years now, so I said of course..

The first one had a cowl like ring that clicks onto the front of the watch. Quite nice but it hid too much of the watch. The second I screwed up drilling the pin holes for the supports and the third one I like. This is the third one..

The wood is oak and used to be a TV cabinet in its earlier life!! The pins are turned from 6mm brass rod held in a Jacobs chuck and turned with a 1/4" HSS spindle gouge and the watch is my silver Waltham watch. Shown as how it will look with its gold Walthan jobbie on it. The brass is really easy to turn on a wood lathe with wood gouges. Just a little different.

I hope that you like it? I do. Well, we got to display these old Yanky watches init!! :Mischievous::Mischievous:

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Very nice John. But how come the watch is not an Apple Watch? ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi John - nicely done - congrats! :)

I've got a nice basement workshop but decided years ago not to get a lathe - would have taken up another corner of my basement and required a LOT of additional dedicated tools; BUT, I love watching lathing programs and wife & I have bought a number of turned bowls, vases, etc. In North Carolina, woodworking and lathing projects are common offerings visiting the shops. Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Very nice work. I love a natural looking finish that brings out the beauty of the wood.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice work. Wish I had that kind of skill.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Very nice John. But how come the watch is not an Apple Watch? ;P

It's because I have a pear of them C :D:D I'd look a right lemon with an apple on there. The Waltham look just grape :Cool:

Thank you for your kind comments folks.

I had no intention of ever getting into turning Dave, but I tried it and got hooked. As you say, the lathe is the small bit. The chucks, gouges, sharpening kit and all the rest swamp the lathe and its cost! But I wouldn't be without it now.

SD, 'that kind of skill' as you call it was won by 20+ years of mastikes (which I never make? :[:[ 0) and sometimes watching lumps of wood flying across my workshop! I still make lots, but not near as many now :Cool:

Lisa, the finish is a coat of cellulose sanding sealer to seal the grain followed by a good polish with Microcrystaline wax. That's a very good and hard wearing wax that gives that lovely finish.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My effort today was to take a square stick and make it round. This time for us..

2" square 3.1 metres long to 2" and 2.6 metres long. I have another one to do as well, as soon as I get some more belts for my Bosch sander. The old ones kept on giving up and breaking at the join. I can't understand it? They were only about 12 years old

They will be the new curtain poles for our lounge window, 5 metres wide. At the moment we have 35mm poles and they ain't strong enough, but would make a quite reasonable bow! I am also making the rings, all 40 and the fitments too. this is the window.

[/quote]

The above was started a few days back and below is the continuation

Well, they are done now and I am quite chuffed wit them. The whole lot was stained with a dark stain with Some French name :? To do the rings I just screwed the little eye rings in them and dunked them in the stain. Then hung up to dry. It worked a treat

Everything was given a coat of hard wax oil and some intercristaline wax from Chestnut and the only worry I have is that when you draw the curtains they won't stop. They slide very easily!

Lovely drying weather out there today but it only got to 22ºC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi John - a LOT of work in that project w/ great results - congrats again! Dave :)

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There was as light incentive Dave. We had checked all over the place to try to find who could supply them and about the only place we found was in the U.K. They wanted £200 plus for a single pole + P&P !! What I have done has cost us about 40€ and my time..:Mischievous::Mischievous:

No brainer really init :Cool::Cool:

Now I have to turn some small bowls as presents when my sis-in-law visits next month. Some cherry I have been given. Very pretty wood.

One of the things I love about turning is that although you can see the form of the wood it isn't until you stop the lathe that you see the detail of the grain and the real beauty of it.

Let me show you an example.

The form

and the wood

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.