• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Audio glitches after importing smartphone MP4 video

Reaction score
This has been driving me insane. I'm using the latest iMovie (10.x etc.) on my various Macs but my smartphone-shot MP4 videos acquire little pops and artefacts as part of the import process. They're not so loud as to make the main audio unusable, but are definitely distracting. You can hear the effect in my output (not sure if I'm allowed to post links yet, so look for "Phones Show 276" on YouTube, for example, see the sections where it's just me talking and turn the volume up, etc.)

The original MP4 audio is fine, I've previewed that in other apps and importing the same MP4 videos into the old iMovie 9.0.4 (which I still have as well!) results in perfect audio.

So it seems as though it's some sort of 'intelligent' processing being done by iMovie 10. Any ideas, anyone? Pretty please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.