Photos in iMovie

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to El Capitan, and have been having issues with iMovie ever since. If I place a still photo in my iMovie project, the photo shows up on the timeline but won't play. It shows in the video as a black screen. I've tried placing it through the media browser, dragging and dropping from iPhoto or Photos, exporting to the desktop and dragging it from there, and saving it in Preview first then dragging and dropping, all with the same result. I also tried deleting the plist file and rebuilding the photo library, no good. Can anyone help me? I'd really like to finish my project.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I take it that you are still using iMovie11(v9)? That's a well known problem with it and El Capitan. There's is no fix as far as I'm aware, and it's the reason that I'm staying with Yosemite for the time being.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm actually using iMovie 8. I was considering upgrading to 11 until I read all the reviews. It has worked fine up until now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Well, iMovie11 is far, far better than iMovie08, but obviously not with El Capitan.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Right now going back to Yosemite sounds like a lot of work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.