AdwareMedic "Adware signature file appears to be corrupt"?

Reaction score
Hello all, this late 2012 macbook pro running el capitan has a virus problem. Running adwaremedic is showing an error "Adware signature file appears to be corrupt" and another prompt is there showing "scanning for aware.spigot" but it seems to be frozen, help please?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello all, this late 2012 macbook pro running el capitan has a virus problem.

Come on Mike…you've been around here long enough to know there are no Mac virus's.;) A "corrupt" file can happen in a number of ways (and doesn't have to involve a virus).:)

Adwaremedic and Malwarebytes have merged. I would suggest downloading the latest version of Malwarebytes…install it…run it…and see what happens.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
lol good one nick! Thanks, will run malwarebytes now and get back to you but since the owner says he's seen the mackpeeper pop up doesn't this indeed mean it's a virus situation?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...the owner says he's seen the mackpeeper pop up doesn't this indeed mean it's a virus situation?

"Mackpeeper" or "MacKeeper"? You didn't mention this in post #1.

- Nick

p.s. "Owner says"?? Isn't this your computer?;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
lol good one nick! Thanks, will run malwarebytes now and get back to you but since the owner says he's seen the mackpeeper pop up doesn't this indeed mean it's a virus situation?
If you mean MacKeeper I'd say not. Most likely either / both of the following are happening:
1. At some point MacKeeper was installed on the computer and hasn't been properly removed. It can be a pain to do. See here.
2. If this happens while you are surfing the web it's probably a pop up window. They're everywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest AdBlockPlus and Ghostery as well as Malwarebytes for Mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
Oh, sorry. Yes, malware bytes has showed quite a few items and cleaned them out then I restarted and ran it again, this time it showed only a few items so I repeated the process and the 3rd time it showed the exact same items and now the 4th time same as shown in this link, sorry file is too large to upload:

http://imgur.com/9LXDrIL

what can I do here please?

OP
M
Reaction score
I notice whenever I restart malwarebytes and click on SCAN the first time, nothting shows, it oalways when I click on it the 2nd time then it shows the same items as shown in the pic. Also are adblock plus an ghostery extensions and not virus cleaners like mlawarebytes?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also are adblock plus an ghostery extensions and not virus cleaners like mlawarebytes?

Huh (scratching head)?;)

- Adblock = blocks ads
- Ghostery = websites don't know who or where you are
- Malwarebytes = detects & deletes malware that it is designed to identity
- "virus cleaners" = don't need. No Mac virus's.

* Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Alright, any ideas about those repeated entries Nick or anyone else?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.