Firefox security preventing use of text expansion

O

osh44

I have used Typeit4Me (Text Expander) for a long time and have paid for the full version. I frequently use it to fill in forms on web sites. I use Firefox (currently have 45.0.1 installed) and OSX El Capitan (10.11.4). For the past two months, as soon as Firefox starts, I get the message "Firefox has enabled secure input. Text expanders will not work."
This is a REAL pain and defeats the object of having purchased the package. I recognise the risks of opening myself to key loggers but there must surely be way to disable this feature so I can use Typeit4Me once more.
There are plenty of answers to the question about what one can do when Firefox does not release the secure input but nothing about how to disable it for form entry. I don't use it for passwords; for these I use Roboform which seems to have overcome the secure input problem. I know I can use built-in Apple abbreviations but just prefer the fuller features of Typeit4Me. Can anyone help please? The software providers don't answer my email other than with a generic answer. Firefox only has community support and the question doesn't seem to have been asked before. Probably this is because the Secure Input is a new feature on the latest Firefox. Any help appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe not what you want to hear... but why don't you change your browser to either Safari or Chrome?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
TypeIt4Me has a page that explains the Secure input in different Apps ~ Here at Ettore software

Now although it explains, it doesn't give you any sage advice, so your best bet is going into the Mozzilla community and asking in the forums there. There will be experts on FF that could help more then here.

I have found nothing showing how to disable Secure Input.

OP
O

osh44

Maybe not what you want to hear... but why don't you change your browser to either Safari or Chrome?
Thank you for responding. I am a long term devotee of Firefox and it will be such a wrench to change. I'll do so if I can't solve this problem though.

OP
O

osh44

TypeIt4Me has a page that explains the Secure input in different Apps ~ Here at Ettore software

Now although it explains, it doesn't give you any sage advice, so your best bet is going into the Mozzilla community and asking in the forums there. There will be experts on FF that could help more then here.

I have found nothing showing how to disable Secure Input.
Thank you for responding. As you have discovered. The Typeit4me page doesn't actually help and I am still persevering to get an answer from them to my emails. All I get is a link to this very page that doesn't solve the problem. It must be solvable; otherwise, how does Roboform manage to (effectively) expand and insert text in a Firefox login form?

OP
O

osh44

I have now solved this problem by, reluctantly, changing from Firefox to Safari. Many thanks to all and special thanks to Ettore Software for quick response and assistance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.