Avast for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac laptop OS X, ver 10.5.7
Hi, all...

I did a search here for posts on Avast for Mac and didn't see anything recent. May have overlooked something--if so, please point me in the right direction.

I have Avast on my PC and am comfortable using it there. I was wondering if users here have any opinions on the free version for Mac. Is it complicated? Confusing? Easy? And is the download supposed to send you to a different website from Avast's own???

I have a MacBook Pro - still running Yosemite OS.

Thanks in advance for opinions & suggestions.

Jann

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
No need on a Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I did a search here for posts on Avast for Mac and didn't see anything recent. May have overlooked something--if so, please point me in the right direction.

Visit the Security Awareness area.:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac laptop OS X, ver 10.5.7
Thanks, guys. I didn't know Malwarebytes had something for Mac. Having read a number of less-than-stellar comments on Avast, I will take a good look at M'w'bytes instead.

Jann

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks, guys. I didn't know Malwarebytes had something for Mac. Having read a number of less-than-stellar comments on Avast, I will take a good look at M'w'bytes instead.

Hi Jann - I also used Avast on my PC laptops in the past (now completely converted to Apple and use no active AV program of any of our iMacs) - keep in mind that the term 'malware' encompasses an assortment of computer threats, including viruses, trojans, worms, adware, and other nasties. At the moment there are NO 'viruses' in the wild that will affect OS X, but other malware threats, particularly adware is a concern.

Avast is basically an AV program, although other malware can be detected - the viruses, if detected, are all Windows threats and will not affect an Apple OS X computer (although they might be passed on as attachments to PC users, so a consideration). Malwarebytes is NOT a virus scanner, but detects adware and other sorts of malware, so the goals are different; plus, the latter does not run in the background and use up your computer's resources, nor does the app install malware, as has been reported w/ Avast HERE - finally, if not already done check out the previous links given. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.