Time Machine

Reaction score
I have ordered a 4TB Seagate backup hard drive for Mac - STDS4000400

I initially plan on physically attaching to my 27" IMac (Mid 2011). OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

Is it possible to also backup my Mac Air laptop (2014 purchase) wirelessly using my home network?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Joe

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
To my knowledge you cannot back up anything to Time Machine wirelessly to an EHD . That is what Time Capsule is for. You need an NAS and there is no way that I know to create one from an EHD. I can certainly see the convenience of a home network backup but for what it is I find it hard to justify the price of the 3Tb Time Capsule. You can do what you suggest with the new Airport Extreme, plug in an EHD and backup everything via your home network but short of that I can think of no other way that does not require a lot of tweaking except perhaps OSX Server a $30.00 application. Check it out here; https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/os-x-server/id883878097?mt=12

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just as an after thought you might want to look at ChronoSync it on a one day half price sale and does the same things as Carbon Copy Cloner which this forum promotes for creating bootable clones (a better alternative to Time Machine I think) plus it has some remote functions which just might fill your needs plus a 15 day free trial period. http://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/overview.html

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks

Just as an after thought you might want to look at ChronoSync it on a one day half price sale and does the same things as Carbon Copy Cloner which this forum promotes for creating bootable clones (a better alternative to Time Machine I think) plus it has some remote functions which just might fill your needs plus a 15 day free trial period. http://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/overview.html

Thanks for the heads up on the Airpory, Server or ChronoSync info. I might try the ChronoSync, although I missed the special deal. Your prior reply went to my spam folder. I really appreciate the timely reply in helping me and others. It does not go unnoticed, thanks

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.